What are desktop.ini files and are they important

Amer 23:23 12 Apr 04

I have a programme called sureclean professional which has the option to add other folders that can be cleaned. So I added Temporary internat files as it always gets quite large after a while.

The programme is asking whether I want to delete system files called desktop.ini. Are these important or can they be deleted at routine intervals

Any help appreciated

hugh-265156 00:39 13 Apr 04

amers previous thread click here

.ini files are configuration settings files i believe.to be honest i would just click tools/folder options/view and put a tick do not show hidden files and leave them to be safe.

if you want you could always move anything like this to the bin and use the computer for a while,if no problems then it should be safe to delete it completly.

cleanup does a good job of removing uneeded files safely click here

spybot and adaware search for and remove nasties that your av doesnt pick up click here click here and spywareblaster keeps nasties from getting back on again click here all three if kept up to date and run often should keep you safe.

HXP 00:51 13 Apr 04

Here is a dictionary description :
ini files - a file that has a.INI extension and contains configuration information for MS-Windows. Two.INI files, WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI, are required by MS-Windows. In addition, many applications have their own.INI files. In Windows 95 and Windows NT,.INI files have been replaced by the Registry, though many applications still include.INI files for backward compatibility.

You can open them in notepad ... but unless you are sure what each one does best left to their own devices ....

Amer 06:28 13 Apr 04

Thanks all for your help

Sems best to leave them alone!

Cesar 09:40 13 Apr 04

Ini Files are INITIATION Files and are essential for the running of your computer, DO NOT interfere with these files unless you know exactly what you are doing, they are as important and critical as the registry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…