What are the causes of dll's to go missing ?

rawprawn 11:53 09 Feb 05

I have just had some problems when using Control Panel, as a result I ran sfc. It seemed to be replacing a number of dll files. Does anyone know what causes their failure.

SANTOS7 12:00 09 Feb 05

click here
this may answer your question........

rawprawn 12:16 09 Feb 05

Thank you, I think it must have been caused by me uninstalling some software, although the only thing I can think of is that I updated my ADSL software and that included an uninstall.At least I have a better understanding.

Chezdez 12:19 09 Feb 05

hmmm, very useful, i'll bare that in mind in the future

thanks santos :D

Stuartli 12:39 09 Feb 05

Uninstalling your program may have deleted some DLLs that are shared - usually a message asks if you wish to uninstall such dlls as they are/may be also used by other programs.

rawprawn 13:05 09 Feb 05

I have seen those messages before, but in the case of the ADSL software the uninstall was all part of the update. It just said that it needed to uninstall the old version before installing. Ther was no message about shared files. However I take the point and I will perhaps be more careful in future. The problem I think is that when the message appears, I don't recall it saying which shared files are involved, so it is difficult to make an informed judgement, or am I wrong, is it possible to find out.

Stuartli 16:08 09 Feb 05

The fact that running SFC replaced missing or corrupted files indicates that action was required.

However, most programs that uninstall a previous version usually do so without such problems as shared/common files are retained.

rawprawn 16:55 09 Feb 05

I have a feeling that "Regseeker" is the culprit but I am not yet sureI just raRegseeker,CCleaner anf then ran sfc again. I am now once more replacing dll's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…