What are the benefits of upgrading RAM, please?

Wak 18:45 22 Sep 04

At the moment I have a 1000MHz AMD Duron CPU working with 256MB of RAM (2 x 128MB) and just wondered what the actual benefit would be if I upgraded to 512MB.
Would it double the apparent speed of the computer or would it simply avoid the RAM using the Swap File now and again thus saving a few nano-seconds?
Basically, will the difference be noticeable and will it be worth spending the £41 ???

Any pearls of wisdom from the worldly wise people of this forum, Please?

SANTOS7 18:48 22 Sep 04

click here this may give you a better insight,good luck

Wak 19:10 22 Sep 04

Thanks a lot for that, Santos7. Very informative and just what I needed.
I think I'll take the plunge later in the week.
Thanks again.
Wak.

Grouse ® 19:15 22 Sep 04

windows XP needs at least 256MB RAM to run decently, 512MB will make applications run smoother, especially video hungry applications ( games or DVD ) and other programs running in the background. IE. Firewall, Antivirus, and many other services needed for correct running of PC................

Dorsai 19:29 22 Sep 04

Yes, upgrade the RAM. I have 1 GIG (one stick). My swap file is hardly ever used, it has 34Mb in, of i guess, unwanted rubage.

for £41, a cheap way to speed thing up, if only by a small amount.

Let us know how you get on.

Wak 13:01 25 Sep 04

Hi again, You wanted to know how I got on with the memory upgrade?
I bought a 512MB stick but it randomly kept freezing the screen. Suppliers said it was due to incompatibility of the foreign components it was made from. Tried another make of stick but no difference. Hence got a refund.
Considering the very slight speed increase in loading programs I don't think I will bother any further as I'm not involved in video editing or large music files. I'll stick to my original 256MB Ram. Saving nanoseconds doesn't seem worth the trouble when you are retired!!!
Quality sticks may be available from Crucial for £120 (as opposed to £41) so that also rules it out.
I got a better increase to my internet surfing speed through using CyberTweak so I'm quite happy the way things are at the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…