What are ATA100 connectors?

carlos 10:31 15 Oct 03

On my mobo I have two pairs of connectors for HD, CDRWs etc. One pair is labelled as "Primary/secondary ATA 100" and the other "pri/sec IDE". If I put the CDRW on the ATA 100 connectors I get "sec master fails" on boot up. But all's OK if I do the std thing and connect the CDRW via the std IDE connector. This solves my problem in my last post but I'd be very grateful for clarification

Lozzy 10:39 15 Oct 03
  carlos 10:42 15 Oct 03

So, the ata connectors are only for connecting serial ATA hard drives to?

Lozzy 10:42 15 Oct 03

Remember, light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember: Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Bruce_Lee 10:49 15 Oct 03

It sounds to me like the connectors have the following functions:

Primary ATA 100 - Master 1
Primary IDE - Slave 1
Secondary ATA 100 - Master 2
Secondary IDE - Slave 2

Therefore if you attempt to attach a cd drive to one of the masters it won't work. (Remember that cd drives use ATAPI which allows them to use the IDE bus, but they are not technically IDE devices!)

If anyone needs clarification on anything to do with IDE then click here
This site was a great help in passing my CompTIA A+ certification and has all the information you could possibly want regarding IDE/ATA (which is the same thing).

Bruce_Lee 10:53 15 Oct 03

By the way what motherboard is it?

carlos 10:57 15 Oct 03

will read section and close if clarified , for me lol

Bruce_Lee 10:57 15 Oct 03

Sorry about that list it didn't post very well.

If the connectors were for SATA (Serial ATA) I believe they would be labeled as SATA 150 connectors because current Serial ATA drives use a 150 MB/s transfer rate, and not 100 MB/s (ATA 100).

carlos 11:03 15 Oct 03

A7V, bus clock 100MHz, Award BIOS. Is that enough....can't see any more on mobo. Belarc gives just that above

Bruce_Lee 11:19 15 Oct 03

If you have a motherboard manual for your computer it should describe what all the connectors are and what they do (as well as telling you the actual model). The A7V could be any of a number of boards.

You can always head to the ASUS website click here and try to find information there.

carlos 11:36 15 Oct 03

Thanks, again. The manual states there are 2 IDE connectors (ultra DMA/66 support) and 2 IDE connectors ( Ultra DMA/100 support). Not sure what that means, tho. Partic as 2 are labelled as "pri/sec ATA 100" on mobo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…