What are all these JETxxxx.tmp files?

Brazils 10:05 06 Mar 03

I use Windows XP Home and I have noticed in my C:\Windows\Temp folder hundreds of 0 KB .tmp files starting with JET and 4 numbers/letters. (e.g. JET5C7E.tmp). Does anyone know what causes these files to be produced, a few each day? They are never deleted by Clean-up, but can they be deleted?

MAJ 10:10 06 Mar 03

If you enter Jet.temp into Google you will get a load of possibilities, see if any are relevant to you, Brazils.

Brazils 11:04 06 Mar 03

JET.temp is not so helpful ;-)

But JET.tmp, or JET*.tmp, or JETxxxx.tmp did throw up results on the WEB or in Groups. Thanks for the tip.

I had spent ages on Google, but I did not try such a simple search. I have gone on again, but
I just get lots of confusing info, mostly to do with databases and Terminal Service License Managers. Even Word uses the JET engine that maybe producing thes files.

All of my files are 0 KB. Anyone else have any ideas? I have a feeling its a Microsoft service that produces them, and they have got left behind when XP has frozen or crashed.

Could I safely delete them all?

©®@$ђ 11:53 06 Mar 03

Jet*.tmp files in the system root
This jet files by the terminal licencing service are produced. According to ms it should be 7 pieces, with me is it 12 plus 3 by Backup EXEC. In the course of the time e.g. through crashes files can increase the number of the Jet*.tmp strongly, since the terminals server produces these files again with each start. Is called the old Jet1.tmp to Jet7.tmp Jet8.tmp to Jet14.tmp is then produced and so on.
The old files can be simply deleted, this go most simply with a small batch file in that
del C:\Wtsrv\jet*.tmp/Q
stands. Hereby all old jet files are deleted, which are current in the access remain.
In the ms KB article "terminal server Licensing - PSS ID NUMBER: Q187629 "one can reread more.

source click here

©®@$ђ 11:56 06 Mar 03

Jet*.tmp files are created by the Terminal Server License Manager and are a
temporary storage for newly created licenses. You should not have more then
7 files (jet1.tmp to jet7.tmp). But if the server is shutdown unexpectedly
or from within a RDP session, the jet*.tmp files are not deleted and you
can end up with many jet*.tmp files. It's OK to delete the unused ones

Brazils 19:35 06 Mar 03

I've got hundreds, and none have simple numbers like you mention. All have a combination of 4 numbers and/or letters (see my original post).
What is the Terminal Server License Manager?
I'm using a Home PC.
Thanks for the link.

©®@$ђ 07:58 07 Mar 03

Terminal Services ~ allows remote login to the local computer. This service is required for Fast User Switching, Remote Desktop Server and Remote Assistance. You will not be able to view who is logged on to a particular computer by viewing the "user" tab located in the Task Manager if this service is disabled. For security reasons, disable this unless you specifically require its functionality. For some reason, start this service to install Norton 2003.

click here

Brazils 23:54 07 Mar 03

Thanks for your patience and help. I have 4 people who use my PC at home and we do use Fast User Switching.
Final question. Can I delete them?

Brazils 16:15 08 Mar 03

©®@$ђ 16:42 08 Mar 03

If the application using the temp files is
still open, NO you cannot delete them without corrupting data. They should
be protected against deletion, but I've never tested that.

If the application closes correctly, without crashing, it should
automatically delete those files. If you know when you last rebooted your
computer, you can safely delete any temp files from before then

but as they are not causing any problems, it may be aswell to leave them alone..

like i said these files are normally deleted by the application,when it finishes using them, but in your case it seems like something has crashed,either Jet database software,used in Access databases and
the WINS database, among others.Are you running HP's JetDirect printing software.

©®@$ђ 16:48 08 Mar 03

a little more info available here click here

copied from the above

Terminal Server License Manager creates seven temporary files in the System32 directory. The temporary files are called JET1.TMP through JET7.TMP. These files are used to temporarily store newly created licenses.

When an RDP client connects to a Terminal Server and requests a license, the initial license is generated and cached in the appropriate JETx.TMP file. The license is sent to the client, and the client stores the license (in the registry or in the mstsc.ini file as mentioned). Licenses are tied to the client computer, so some computer-specific information is added to the license, during the license request or when the license is presented to the client (the details on this process are sketchy. Please comment this article if you have further information). The license is presented to the Terminal Server as part of logon, written to the license database, and removed from the JETx.TMP file.

It is possible to have more than seven JETx.TMP files. If the server is powered off without using the shutdown routine or if the server is shut down inside an RDP client session, the JETx.TMP files are not cleaned up. Shutting the server down through an RDP client session is generally not an issue, since services are written to handle power outages by committing cached data very quickly. Administrators should be aware, however, that the normal shutdown procedures are not followed. If you shut down the server at the console, all services are stopped before the server shuts down. The server shuts down immediately, without stopping services correctly if the shutdown is performed through a client session. Because services are not notified, the JETx.TMP files will already exist when the server is restarted. The Terminal Server License Manager service will create seven new JETx.TMP files.

If JETx.TMP files numbered 1-7 exist, the server will create new files numbered 8-14. If you deleted files 1-7 (which could be done since they would not be open) and shutdown the system through the RDP client again, the new files created at startup would again be numbered 1-7. So, the highest numbered files are not necessarily the files that are in use

If left over JETx.TMP files are an issue, simply delete JET*.TMP files. Only the closed, unused files will be deleted. You cannot delete open files, or delete files in use

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…