What are the advantages of having a 64 Bit OS?

dave726587 21:15 05 May 09

What are the advantages of having a 64 Bit OS?

Kevscar1 21:25 05 May 09

I have it because it allows me to run 8gb Ram

phono 21:26 05 May 09

The most immediate advantage is the increased memory space which can be addressed, in other words a lot more RAM can be used by the system which in turn benefits in terms of speed of operation, the number of applications and processes which can be running and so on.

It does have disadvantages however, the most prominent probably being the availability of native 64 Bit software etc.

See here click here for an explanation.

phono 21:28 05 May 09

"I have it because it allows me to run 8gb Ram"

Ditto here.

OTT_Buzzard 21:31 05 May 09

Theoretically, it should give a performace boost compared oto the same computer running a 32 bit system. It doesn't always work that way though.

A lot of applications that run on 64 bit systems are actually 32 bit programmes, running in "32 bit mode" therefore you get no advantage.

For a true 64 bit application, you can expect something around a 5% - 10% performance improvement compared to a 32 bit version of the same programme running on the same computer with a 32 bit OS.

As Kevscar has said, 64bit will allow you to utilise more than the 3gb RAM limit of 32 bit systems. This may give an additional performance improvemnt for some applications.

Unfortunately, all applications need to be judged on a case by case basis - there is no rule to use as it depends on how they have been written.

dth 22:02 05 May 09

64 bit software for basic stuff (internet use, email and word type documents) is only a small amount quicker 0-10%. For more intensive work it does make a difference - say 20% ripping CDs up to 45% with video authoring work.

Cymro. 12:29 06 May 09

You very interestingly say
"64bit will allow you to utilise more than the 3gb RAM limit of 32 bit systems"

So if I understand you correctly there is no point in buying a 32 bit machine that has 4gb of RAM. And yet I have seen such machines advertised, or have I? perhaps I am mistaken and in fact what I have seen are in fact 64 bit machines. I also assume there is not point in upgrading a 32bt machine in to 4gb of RAM.

brundle 12:35 06 May 09

3>3.75GB depending on your hardware; click here

Cymro. 12:57 06 May 09

Thanks for that brundle, I think!!!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac