What antivirus software do I really need?

Rich48 18:57 25 Mar 07

I've installed Norton 2007 on my laptop and it's now so slow it's virtually unusable. The update processes take up all the CPU and it takes my machie about 10-15 minutes to get going! I read somewhere that actually home PC's don't need additional software and the broadband provider and ISP should cover for most things. Is this true? If not - any suggestions for moving away from Norton?

skidzy 19:04 25 Mar 07

Firstly,Norton is reknown to be a resource hog and can become a debatable subject.Personally remove Norton and use something like AVG or Avast

Norton removal tool click here

AVG free click here
Avast click here

Remember only one Antivirus to one machine !

Totally-braindead 19:23 25 Mar 07

Agree with skidzy. You will need anti virus, in my opinion going on line without it is tantamount to computer suicide.
Download either AVG free or AVAST and the Norton removal tool but do not run them yet.
Disconnect from the Internet, remove Norton by running the removal tool then install whichever anti virus you have downloaded. Go back on the internet and update your anti virus.
Some BB providers provide built in email scanning with their own anti virus before it gets to you but that is not enough, you need to have your own anti virus program as well.

Technotiger 21:31 25 Mar 07
  palinka 22:18 28 Mar 07

Yes, you definitely need an AV; but NOT Norton. Follow Totally-braindead's advice and all will be well; and AVG Free is free forever - unlike Norton and other paid-for AVs.

pennyben 13:21 29 Mar 07

Norton 2007 is NOT a resource hog, unlike the previous few versions. I do not use it but if you want to be safe online Norton is very good.

cink2 15:08 29 Mar 07

Does AVG, protect/filter out spam as Norton does

Rich48 22:32 03 Apr 07

Thanks for the advice. I've ditched Norton and life is much better! I had the 2007 version and it was worse than 2006 as it kept running live updates which took up almost all the CPU!

p;3 22:51 03 Apr 07

click here is a good tool if you wish to get some help to stop the spam from getting onto your computer

and I too agree with keeping norton OFF any comp ; I would not recommend its use to anyone

wee eddie 08:16 04 Apr 07

I'm using it with Outlook and I am very impressed. So far.

bof:) 16:20 10 Apr 07

remember you will also need a firewall as well as an antivirus program. The one supplied with windows XP only works one way.

click here

for a posting by skidzy for a choice of some free firewall and other programs to protect your pc.

Note you will only need 1 antivirus program on your pc.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5