What Antivirus ?

carryduff 11:31 24 Jul 07

I know you've probably had loads of questions on this subject,but my antivirus/firewall is about to expire and I would really appreciate your suggestions on what to replace it with. There are so many choices at present, buy or freeware. I just want a program I can install and forget about regardless of cost if that's what it takes. Which ones really are the best ? Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the trouble to reply.

RobCharles1981 11:35 24 Jul 07
  Stuartli 11:44 24 Jul 07

The free version of Avast! (Home Edition)(.

It does what it says on the tin and also updates itself automatically, providing both verbal and written notice that it has done so.

See:

click here

If you install it, check for updates immediately, as well as register your copy to substantially extend the initial 60-day licence. Make sure you check the For Personal Use box when applying for registration.

davidprc 12:51 24 Jul 07

The truth is it depends. It depends on your surfing habits. You will see AVG is popular here but its performance of detection and clesning is far from the best. But if you are a safe surfer then it should be fine but check out Anti Vir - this is free and the detection is as good as anything out there but not so good at cleaning.

For paid Kaspersky, Bitdefender, NOD 32 and now Norton 2007 - not 2006 backwards.

The choice is yours but the best thing you can do is to buy a router fore its firewall capabilities with a decent AV and say SUperantispyware for regular scans.

Good luck.

MeandHer 13:30 24 Jul 07

Try the comodo free firewall. PC seems to run quicker than with Zone Alarm free firewall. (it does on my pc).
At the moment i am running C A Antivirus you can get it on 90 day trials (I just keep ordering trials on my e.mail addresses)
Had no trouble with it and its easy to run, doesn't slow pc down.

mfletch 15:15 24 Jul 07

Hi in my opinion you cannot go wrong with,

Avast FREE Antivirus click here

Comodo FREE Firewall click here

Or if you want to pay?

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6 click here

I use Avast and Comodo {no problems At all}

mfletch

carryduff 15:29 24 Jul 07

Thanks everyone, you've certainly given me plenty of options to try. I'll look into a few of them before I decide.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…