What anti-virus, firewall protection do I need

pal2012 10:55 16 Jul 07

Can someone help me buy the right protection for my PC please.

Have been using Norton Antivirus 2006 and Norton Firewall 2006, both subs due to expire. I also have Spybot.

If I get Norton Internet Security 2007, do I need anti-virus as well?

I DON'T need child related security OR want something with an over zealous spam filter which means I don't get the messages I should!

I have found Norton simple to instal and use so that suits me but are there other - better, but still as simple - products to use with XP and where is the cheapest place to buy?

Thanks for any advice

pal2012

johndrew 11:53 16 Jul 07

Have a look at these:

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

This question is often asked as you can see. I use AVG Free, Sunbelt (Kerio) personal Firewall and a number of other anti-malware programs (all free). The choice is always yours.

oldbeefer2 11:54 16 Jul 07

Personally, I would dump Norton (you need to get a removal tool from their website -add/remove programmes doesn't get rid of it all)and replace with Avast! or AVG - both free. If you need a firewall (don't if you connect through a router) then Zonealarm is well regarded and, again, is free.

RobCharles1981 11:57 16 Jul 07

I wouldn't bother buying any Paid Products here get the Norton Removal Tool from click here

That will uninstall all of Norton From your computer.

Then Head to click here
click here

Asquared Free
Adware 2007
AVG Antispyware
Spybot Search and Distroy
Spyware Terminator Super Antispyware
Spyware Blaster

click here
Go For Zone Alarm

click here
Either AVG or Avast

And Get CCleaner to clean out your Junk after you uninstalled Norton click here

That should keep you protected.

Good Luck

MeandHer 13:55 16 Jul 07

Any of above mentioned.
But try comodo free firewall, I find pc runs better with it than free zone alarm firewall.

wee eddie 15:04 16 Jul 07

Just 1 Anti-virus - More than one makes both ineffective.

Just 1 Firewall - More than 1 can cause conflicts which will make Net Access almost impossible.

You can have as many Anti Spy/Malwear programs as you wish.

birdface 14:02 17 Jul 07

Norton is not everyones cup of tea,But if you are happy with it.IE7 is supposed to be a lot better than previous versions, And yes It also has Anti Virus + Firewall.Will pay you to shop around for it.As you can get it cheaper on the internet.

skidzy 19:21 17 Jul 07

Read through carefully click here
listed is all you would ever need to be secure and clean.

DavidCap 18:33 20 Jul 07

click here

Check out the above website. It will recommend all the software you need.

Tropezon 19:17 20 Jul 07

I recently loaded AVG and Zone Alarm and then found my modem would not connect and could hear the operator saying "This number is not recognised" I uninstalled Zone Alarm and the problem went away.

Good Luck!

rdave13 22:06 21 Jul 07

Firewall--Comodo.
Antivirus--Avast!
Antispyware--AVG antispyware free and Superantispyware free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…