What alternative to Windows XP?

SallyC 15:16 20 Dec 13

Hi - we have 2 Dell laptops both running on Windows XP. I've been reading through the various posts regarding the forthcoming lack of Microsoft support in April 2014 but am still unsure as to what the best way forward for us is, so hope you can advise. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with 74.5gb hard-drive. My partner's is a Dell Latitude D610 with a 40gb hard-drive. Should I change to Windows 7? Is there any particular version that would be the most suitable for both laptops? Can I change the operating system myself or should I invest in an expert to do both. I would also be interested to know what other 'beginners' with XP are planning on doing, if anything at all? I will be grateful as always for any advice Thanks Sally

woodchip 16:57 20 Dec 13

Linux, But I shall be running XP Home on all my PC's Laptop Netbook long after the Stop Support from MS

finerty 18:00 20 Dec 13

u can go to your local wh smith and look for linux magazines and load linux mint or ubuntu. i have for the last 5 years been using dual 2 operating systems windows xp and mint. when insert the disc try to load from windows as you can the choice of both os's however b careful as you could wipe the whole dive and just have linux. b4 u do anything ak sure u bac up your files onto an external drive. i normally use acronis does it 4 me

lotvic 18:21 20 Dec 13

You don't need to do anything. XP will still work ok after MS stop supporting it. Just means they will not be issuing further updates for it.

Some people are still using 98SE.

iscanut 19:41 20 Dec 13

I agree with lotvic, if you are happy and comfortable with XP,then stay with it until you change your computers. Just carry on protecting with your firewall and anti virus/anti malware.u

iscanut 19:41 20 Dec 13

I agree with lotvic, if you are happy and comfortable with XP,then stay with it until you change your computers. Just carry on protecting with your firewall and anti virus/anti malware.u

SallyC 15:26 22 Dec 13

Thanks for all your responses - am now considering upgrading the Latitude for a newer Inspiron with Windows 7 installed and continue using XP on our existing Inspiron. Definitely watching Ebay.

spuds 11:06 24 Dec 13

I have and use XP Home and Pro on two computer's, and have been more than satisfied with XP (some hospital's are still using XP) since it first came onto the market.

There is also a laptop with Vista, that is used very occasionally.

But over the past few days, we have been using W7 on another computer that was purchased some time ago and not used. I can only say, that W7 is at present ticking all the boxes for our daily needs and I wish I had used it much earlier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5