What is ADSL, RJ11 etc ?

  Blue_Bear 12:45 21 Feb 07

I want to connect my PC to the modem to get online, but I'm a bit confused by the names of the cables, connections etc and I'm not sure which I need.

I have an NTL cable modem, and I know the connector in the PC and the modem are the same - they are like oversized telephone connectors !

Can anyone help me understand what the cable is called that I should be looking for, what the connector is called etc, and also whether they vary in the speed that they can carry data (is it worth spending more on a cable to get better connection speeds etc)

Thank you

  Pamy 13:09 21 Feb 07

this may help Lookclick here

  Blue_Bear 13:24 21 Feb 07

Thanks - lots of info there, but I'm still not sure whether the 'standard' connection is RJ11, RJ45 etc.

Any more advice much appreciated

  Pamy 14:28 21 Feb 07

It gets complicated click here

  oldbeefer2 14:48 21 Feb 07

The ethernet connection from PC to modem is RJ45 both ends.

  keef66 15:37 21 Feb 07

click here-

It's just standard 5e network cable with a RJ45 connector at each end.

All you need to choose is how long it needs to be and what colour you fancy!

(I got a cable with my NTL modem)

  Blue_Bear 21:23 21 Feb 07

Thanks all - does it matter if the cable is 'Straight' or 'Crossover' - I've seen both types advertised and not sure if I need one or the other ?

  Jackcoms 21:38 21 Feb 07

"does it matter if the cable is 'Straight' or 'Crossover'"

Yes, it does matter.

To connect to the internet you will need straight.

Crossover is normally used to connect PC to PC.

  Blue_Bear 21:40 21 Feb 07

Perfect - all help much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…