What additional hard drive do I buy?

whitelighter 08:49 23 Jul 03

Hi,

I am looking to purchase an additional hard drive for my 1 year old PC. My main drive is currently a maxtor 20GB.

Can anybody suggest what the best drive would be. My budget is around £50-£65.

Thanks in advance

xania 08:54 23 Jul 03

You should be able to get at least 60Gb but, assuming your mobo supports it, go for ATA133 for faster access. There is some advantage in the faster 7900 rpm disks. For example, Watford Electonics do Samsung SP0612N for £65. But you could do even better looking on Ebay.

-pops- 08:57 23 Jul 03

I've always been happy with Maxtor drives. If you are, why not get another? You should be able to get a 40 or 60GB drive for that money.

Brian

Bodi 09:00 23 Jul 03

for a HITACHI/IBM 180GXP 60GB 8.5MS 72 - product code W64981 - @ £48.16 inc VAT.

click here

Ordered two hard drives on Saturday, and they arrived yesterday.

Bodi

Bodi 09:04 23 Jul 03

Sorry - I am not doing well this morning. Product code should read 64981, omitting the "W". Just type it in the box at the top of the page.

Bodi

Stuartli 09:06 23 Jul 03

If you buy a Western Digital HDD with the model number ending in JB you get a three rather than one year guarantee.

I've just bought a WD WD600JB 60GB at Dabs for £66; I realise I could have got an 80GB for the same or slightly less, but peace of mind is more important.

The 20GB HDD I'm replacing is just over two years old and on its way out, whilst my son has had to replace under warranty at least two 120GB IBM drives in the last 12 months that were little more than a few weeks old.

They were being used in a server and IBM informed him that the drives were not intended to be run for more than a few hours at a time.......

Mad or what?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…