What is an acceptable size JPEG to print on an A4 sheet?

buel 14:38 06 Apr 14

Hi, I am planning on making one of those DIY books using the 'Blurb' website. I have downloaded a few images from various places (Yes, copyright-free) but am unsure if the size of the images is adequate for them to appear in an A4 sized book. For example, one of the images that looks great on the site is only 237 kb in size. I was under the impression that they had to be a few megabytes to be good quality.

Please can anyone offer an opinion?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:55 06 Apr 14

Jpg is a compressed picture file so a small file may look OK.

However you are generaly correct in your assumption that a larger file is required for a large print size such as A4.

I write and print a lot of training documents A4 size containing pictures and they usually turn out OK

john bunyan 14:59 06 Apr 14

I would use a photo software such as paint.net. For printing I use 300 dpi, landscape style. For viewing on screen only, I would use 72 dpi ,29 cm x 21 cm. No sure of file size but will check later.

lotvic 15:01 06 Apr 14

Ignore the actual kb file size.

What is important is the ppi (pixels per inch) how-to-calculate-image-size-and-ppi-when-printing

buel 15:56 06 Apr 14

Thank you all. Regarding PPI, when i choose 'properties' on any image, it gives me the size but not the PPI?

lotvic 16:43 06 Apr 14

'properties' and click on the 'Summary' tab

buel 17:43 06 Apr 14

Thank you. Im using XP and had to then go to 'Advanced'. However, it is only giving me the dpi. I believe a ppi reading would be more beneficial to me?

lotvic 17:58 06 Apr 14

(Am also on XP at the mo') It tell you the pixels (number of pixels width and height) from that you calculate PPI depending on what size you want the picture to print at (as per the link I gave)

Perhaps it would be easier if you tell us what picture editing software program you have as the ifo may be presented in a more user friendly manner if you open the picture in that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now