What is the acceptable duff pixel limit on a TFT

pj123 17:51 26 Nov 04

My friend has just bought a TFT monitor and is now complaining there is 1 (one) duff pixel. I have said that there is an acceptable limit but I don't know what it is.

Jeffers22 17:56 26 Nov 04

I think the general standard is something like 0.001% (1 in 1000) or about 9 on a 17" display at 1024 X 768. BUT it depends also on where they are and how close to each other. Just one doesn't count.

Dorsai 18:07 26 Nov 04

It varies by manufacturer, but most seem to regard more than one as acceptable. As said, location on screen, and proximity to each other also considered.

each pixel is made from 3 transistors, and at 1024 x 768 that it 2,359,296 transisitors. for one pixel to not work right, all it takes is for one of the 3 transistors to fail, and that is a failure rate of 0.00004%

Still annoying, but unlikely to be a reason for a warranty claim.

But we recently bought 8 LG 17" TFT's at work, and not one dead pixel to be found.

sidecar sid 19:08 26 Nov 04

If it is a standard class 2 panel,it must have more than 3 dead pixels, or 5 dead subpixels to be classed as faulty.

Rayuk 19:30 26 Nov 04

Is it definately a duff pixel or lazy sub pixel.
If its a lazy critter gently rub in a circular motion with a cotton bud or cloth for cleaning glasses.

Djohn 20:11 26 Nov 04

It is different with each manufacturer. There is a set guideline but each manufacturer seems to interpret in a different way.

As far as I'm concerned there is no acceptable limit and if a TFT has a dead pixel [Sub or otherwise] it would be straight back to the shop.

If he bought by mail or internet then he has 14 days to return it without having to give a reason. [Distant selling regs.] If direct from a shop then it will depend on the shop if they will change it.

Staples will change a monitor even for 1 dead pixel, in fact they will change it just because you have changed your mind and want different model.

bremner 20:14 26 Nov 04

Take a look at this it might explain things a bit click here

pj123 11:32 27 Nov 04

Thanks bremner, good article, seems quite high limits to me though. Will pass it on to my friend and let him make up his own mind.

Djohn, thanks John but again I don't know where or when he actually bought the monitor. I'll have to leave it up to him to decide.

I think I have enough info here so I will tick as resolved.

Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…