what is 64 bit?

buel 11:44 14 Dec 08

Hi, im thinking of buying a desktop pc but i would like to know the difference between 32bit and 64 bit? Is it that beneficial to get a 64bit? Thankyou.

wotbus@ 11:52 14 Dec 08

Bit out of my depth here (no pun intended), but 64bit is the latest generation of OS and one assumes the latest generation of softwares will be written for it. Most new computers today are fitted with Windows Vista which is 64bit so your query may just be academic.

Technotiger 11:57 14 Dec 08

I don't think there is any great difference at this moment in time. There is not a lot of difference, when bench-marked on XP between 32 and 64 - in fact 32bit with XP gave the better results.

Maybe in a year or two 64Bit will become more widely used, but currently there does not seem to be any advantage in getting a 64Bit system - I must add however, IMHO! I have no doubt others may disagree!

rustyboy 12:06 14 Dec 08

The below quotes arnt my words but I agree with what is said. I hope it helps.

Pro's 64bit
It is noticeably faster than the 32 bit version in all areas (perhaps because of better memory management on systems with more than 1GIG of RAM).
The desktop is faster and all applications seem to start faster.
Most well known applications run perfectly well on the 64bit version.

Con's
Drivers
Some forward planning is needed as the 64bit version of Vista requires 64bit Vista drivers, unlike the 32bit version where you can in some cases use XP drivers.
64bit drivers are in some cases primitive compared to the 32bit version.

To sum up.
If you have 64bit Vista drivers for all your hardware. I would go for the 64bit version.

citadel 13:29 14 Dec 08

I have just put vista 64 bit on a new pc, everything I have wanted to install, software, drivers, has had a 64bit version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now