.what????

hoodlums 12:16 25 May 04

Can anybody tell me how to open a .dat file. Seems no matter how many times you explain some nutter always sends the wrong file ext.

Thanx

johnnyrocker 12:20 25 May 04

someone else might no better but i believe it to be unsafe to try and open them.

johnny.

TomJerry 12:24 25 May 04

and what program produce them. Maybe you can open it use notepad to check what inside, may be just rubbish.

Taff36 12:24 25 May 04

Johnny is right .dat files (DATA)cannot usually be read even by notepad - they`re all gobbledygook. Are you sure its a .dat file you want to open? Is it in fact a word document with the wrong extension? If so save it to disk and rename it with the right extension.

hoodlums 12:29 25 May 04

I tried to rename the extension (no good) it's just gobbledygook. It really is a .dat file sent from the boss. Wordpad/notepad is no good.

When i asked the boss what software it came from he sighed "Microsoft Windows of course you idiot" and he runs a multinational???? :-O

I'll keep trying.
Mark

LastChip 12:34 25 May 04

Excel or Access.

LastChip 12:36 25 May 04

It seems your boss lacks communication skills ;-)

AndySD 12:42 25 May 04

Try using the trial version of Hexworkshop to try to see what the file is click here

2neat 12:47 25 May 04

sigh & tell the boss the file he sent is corrupt. Can he save the file in the correct format and tell you the program he is using. Windows is the operating system.

Taff36 12:52 25 May 04

I think the boss has sent you a system .dat file - God knows why. What was he trying to send you? An Office Document? What does he expect you to do with it? Did he mean to send you an attachment at all - it could just be spurious.

Valvegrid 12:54 25 May 04

Return the file to him and ask him to clarify.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…