Whare did Winxppro go?

swapper 22:52 24 Sep 09

I had winxppro installed on a laptop.

I decided to upgrade to Vista Premium, after backing up I inserted the Vista upgrade disk.
I came to a window which said something like "You cannot upgrade winxpro to Vista premium, you must upgrade to Vista Business" (or something).
The upgrade option was greyed out, but the "Install" option was available.
I took a chance and clicked install. Vista loaded very quickly without any problems.
So what happened to winxppro, as I was not advised that everything would be overwritten, or removed?
I now have Vista Home Premium installed as I wanted.
Has everything been removed from the HD that I had in "My Documents"? not that I mind.

thanks

Ashrich 23:07 24 Sep 09

I'll take a guess that as the " upgrade " option was greyed out and the " Install " option still there , that Vista has probably formatted the hard drive prior to installing a full version of the OS .

Ashley

jimv7 09:37 25 Sep 09

Look on the hard drive for a folder called windows old or win old, that will be your xp files and folders.

swapper 17:26 25 Sep 09

Thank you both,
I have indeed found a folder called windows old with the contents of winxppro in it.
I wasn't too concerned about the loss of anything, just interested because the install was so clean, fast and uncomplicated.
I've looked in "System" and it tells me that it is an upgrade, not the full version.

thanks again.

jimv7 17:48 25 Sep 09

You can also safely delete the 'windows old' file when you have finished recovering any files you want.

swapper 06:17 03 Oct 09

Thanks very much jimv7

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…