WGA problem?

griffo 09:59 30 Aug 06

When one of my PC's boots I get a screen message saying:-
Windows Genuine Advantage Notification has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This is a genuine installation purchased from a reputable supplier. It's not saying it's not genuine but that there's a problem and asks me to send an error report. I have sent the error report many times now and never get any response back.

Can anyone advise what may be going on please?

woodchip 10:01 30 Aug 06

The send report wants turning of In Services as it's just a wast of time and space. As for WGA see if it's in MSCONFIG from the Run command, under startup tab

Stuartli 10:08 30 Aug 06
  griffo 10:16 30 Aug 06

Woodchip - I can't see it in msconfig, I presume it's called WGA? By the way, I can see a number of entries in there that don't have any details at all - what are they likely to be?

Stuartli - thanks for that but as I've stated, my XP installation IS genuine. The article refers to invalid installations.

Eric10 11:05 30 Aug 06

It sounds as if the Windows Genuine Advantage program didn't install correctly. The link provided by Stuartli has a link on the page to a little program called "Remove WGA". Use this to remove WGA from your computer then let Windows updates put it back on and hopefully it will install correctly this time. Windows Genuine Advantage appears in "Add and Remove Programs" but can't be removed from there.

Stuartli 13:10 30 Aug 06

I wasn't suggesting that your XP installation wasn't genuine - even genuine copies have been vilified...:-)

It's just a quick means of doing the removal of WGA automatically rather than going through it manually.

griffo 13:14 30 Aug 06

Ok understood, ta. I've done the removal, should I now go to the MS site and look for an update to get WGA downloaded again (and hopefully installed correctly - if that was the problem)?

Stuartli 13:18 30 Aug 06

No real need - WindowsUpdate will do it automtically whenever there is a new version.

If you do wish to download software from the Microsoft website then a WGA check is made first.

woodchip 13:50 30 Aug 06

I would suggest you do a custom install on updates and to not download WGA. I removed it from mine

griffo 13:53 30 Aug 06

OK folks thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…