Western Digital HDDs and Acoustic Mngmt ?

Audio~~Chip 00:53 30 Sep 09

Will be fitting a 500GB SATA II Western Digital HDD Model No. WD5000AAKS before I bought this I looked in the Ebuyer reviews where I also got it from and I heard a lot of comments about Acoustic noise from the drive.

It was mentioned that this Acustic can be turned off but didn't say how. I looked on Western Digital website and all I could find was refference to this being turned off on the older Intel chipsets.

Has anyone got a recent new WD HDD and knowledge of this Acoustic Settings ?

Audio~~Chip 10:07 30 Sep 09

Reading the info on Wikopedia points out changing this can result in a failed or crash HDD.

Will hold off for now until I get the HDD fitted and windows on the machine later today. Thanks for the postings Lazarus The 2nd

Audio~~Chip 10:11 30 Sep 09

If you have trouble with this drive sounding noisy then it is most likely because Acoustic Management has not been enabled.

To enable this download and burn to disc the utility used for Hitachi drives.(yes Hitachi)
Run the program in DOS and highlight the drive in the information screen.

Then press Alt and A together to bring up acoustic management settings and use the slide to set it how you want. The Hitachi utility works for many other makes of drive as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…