Western Digital Hard Drive Won't Work With XP.

Blood Red Rain 21:06 23 Oct 08

Hi, this is my first post in these forums, and I hope that someone may be able to help me with the following problem.
I have a Western Digital My Passport Elite external HDD that I've recently purchased.
The drive works flawlessly with my Mac, and installed itself, complete with all it's software in under 2 minutes, but when I connect it to my Windows XP laptop, it simply won't work.
XP detects it as new hardware, but doesn't recognise it as an external HDD. It appears in devive manager with a yellow exclamation mark.
I'm sure that the device is supposed to be plug-and-play, which it is with my Mac, but Windows can't seem to do anything with it.
My computer is up-to-date, including it's BIOS, all drivers, and all Windows XP updates.
I've also purchased a USB Dual power cable, just in case the drive needed power from 2 USB ports instead of one in order to run, all to no avail.
I know that the drive works, so what am I doing wrong that prevents it running under Windows XP?
Any help, suggestions or advice would be immensely appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lee.

setecio 21:21 23 Oct 08

Have you checked WD support site for the product?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:28 23 Oct 08

remove your drive from the USB ports
then
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drivers info from the registry
click here
replug in the drive and it should now be recognised

ton 21:34 23 Oct 08

This might be helpful click here

Blood Red Rain 18:27 24 Oct 08

Hi, thank you very much for your replies.
WD site isn't very helpful at all. There is no specific solution for the problem, and most of the troubleshooting tips I've tried without effect.
The device should be recognised immediately, like it is with my Mac under OSX, but XP persists in listing the device in device manager as an HDD with a yellow exclamation mark next to it, and says that the device is enabled, but not working properly as it is missing a driver, which it shouldn't even need!
I ran the Drive Clean utility as recommended, but still no luck.
If it's any help, I use a Toshiba Satellite L20 laptop, which has 3 USB ports ( All of which I've tried ).
Does nayone have any further ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated :-)

Lee.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:11 24 Oct 08

In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

woodchip 19:15 24 Oct 08

As you have first used it on your Mac, is it possible that your Mac as changed the configuration of the Boot Sector of the Drive to use on the Mac not forgetting that they use different file systems.

ton 20:21 24 Oct 08

As Woodchip pointed out

"As you have first used it on your Mac, is it possible that your Mac as changed the configuration of the Boot Sector of the Drive to use on the Mac not forgetting that they use different file systems".

See post above,with a link to 'this might be helpful'.

Blood Red Rain 19:08 25 Oct 08

Thank you for your input.
I've uninstalled th eUSB drivers as suggested, and now Windows hardware wizard cannot locate the drivers to re-install them :-(
I've now got 2 problems, getting the hard-drive to work, and also finding and re-installing the drivers, if it's possible to find them that is.
Just to clarify, the external hard-drive is the Western Digital My Passport Elite 250GB, and my pc is a Toshiba L20 Satellite laptop, with an Intel Celeron processor and 2GB RAM.
The My Passport is designed to be portable, and also work with different operating systems so that you can use it to transfer files between machines.
I connected the hard drive to the PC several times before using it with the Mac, but it was never recognised. I don't think the Mac has altered the file system of the drive, but even if it had, shouldn't the drive still be recognised under XP as an external hard drive?
I've tried the suggestion in the Western Digital hard-drive's built in documentation, which is to use the setup.exe in Windows if the drive isn't auto-detected, but that didn't do anything either.
I'm not sure how to proceed now, as I need to replace the drivers that were uninstalled before XP with run any USB device.

woodchip 23:08 25 Oct 08

On the XP computer,Remove all USB's that are plugged in, then go into Device Manager uninstall all USB starting from bottom working up. then restart computer. Allow PC to install the USB that it finds then try the drive

setecio 09:24 26 Oct 08

>>>>woodchip
Sat, 25/10/08@23:08

On the XP computer,Remove all USB's that are plugged in, then go into Device Manager uninstall all USB starting from bottom working up. then restart computer. Allow PC to install the USB that it finds then try the drive
<<<<

I had to do that at one time and it caused terrible problems which I could only fix by repair installing XP.

What happened was that as I uninstalled the USB in device manager, the mouse/keyboard got uninstalled and I had no way of inputting anything (clicks or keys). Restarting made no difference and I was stuck in a circle with no way out.

What did I do wrong, or will this always happen ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…