western digital exteral hdd green flashing light

KILLBILL3 21:04 11 Mar 08

Hi , all of a sudden my 6 month old Western Digital 500gb external HDD decided to not work. at all.
the green round light on the front flashes fast/continuously , and the power cable i have connected to it will provide power to my laptop (vista) if i plug it in to that, but when i plug it in the hdd, as soon as its powered up, the green light just flashes and my pc wont recognise it. any ideas? anyone else had this problem?
thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:03 11 Mar 08

Won't see drive or won't see it as a USB device attatched?

KILLBILL3 08:48 12 Mar 08

it wont see it as a usb drive, nothing happens on the laptop at all. when i plug the power lead in the laptop i get a solid light on the power supply box, but when i plug it in the externall hdd it just flashes as does the light on the hdd.

w5partello 17:20 24 May 08

I have the same problem did you ever find out how to fix it?

FatboySlim71 22:38 24 May 08

Not really a solution but if its 6 months old is it not covered by a 1 year warranty as most things are?

If not, then another solution would be to take the casing off of the enclosure and remove the hard disk drive, you then could buy a caddie and put the hard disk drive in this. IMO the external hard drives you make up yourself are far better than the ready made ones and in a lot of cases are cheaper too.

KILLBILL3 08:34 27 May 08

hi, a friend ran electic tests on it and it seemed the power wasnt getting through to the hdd properly. he is re soldering it at the moment then i will prob run it as mentioned above. and hopefully it will be ok. i didnt send back because i have a few hundred gbs worth of stuff on there and didnt want to loose it all!
thanks for the advice fatboyslim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…