WEP to WPA

kindly 10:32 09 Sep 07

Hi guys, My wireless system uses the WEP security method. I now want to change it to the WPA one. I am just a little concerned that I might just mess it up. I have a laptop and a desktop on the system.
When I access my router to change it all will I just start as if I never had any security on it at all. Meening I just click on the WPA button and follow the prompts.
Thanks to all who help

kindly 10:38 09 Sep 07

that on the "netgear DG834G" router I use it has the WPA-PSK security option only after the wep one, then it has the WPA 802.1x. Any idea which one to use now.

Ashrich 11:49 09 Sep 07

Use the WPA-PSK , that'll do fine , all you need to do is to think of a long memorable word and enter it into the WPA box , then reboot the router , when you next try to connect wirelessly enter the new key and away you go !

Ashley

irishrapter 15:03 09 Sep 07

If you can you should connect to the router via Ethernet cable when changing things like wireless encryption, because as soon as you apply the change you will loose your wireless connection.

WPA should be used with a random password of at least 20 characters, preferable more, click here to get a random password.
If you use a common dictionary password then it can be breached.

kindly 19:32 09 Sep 07

The answers are what I need to continue and do the job right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…