WEP or WPA

loopyloo 13:23 18 May 06

I have a Linksys router and when it asks you to select encryption ie: as above if I select wpa it asks for you to put in a number etc for key but it says something like what your network key is from your supplier, so I selected WEP 128 Bit and it generates a key for you. Is this ok wep or should I have wpa and where would a get the key number from. I am with NTL.

mgmcc 14:59 18 May 06

WPA is the more secure encryption system and you just need to enter a string of between 8 and 63 characters as the "key". Your router may have a Wireless Security page like this - click here

Once enabled in the router, you enter that same "key" when connecting to the wireless network from a Wireless Adapter in the PC.

dms05 17:09 18 May 06

loopyloo. Go back and enable WPA rather than WEP.

ade.h 18:38 18 May 06

Rather than Wired Equivalent Protocol, it should really stand for Weak and Easy Protocol. It never really lived up to its name (trying to be as secure as Ethernet) and is very easy to crack. I won't post details, for obvious reasons, but the info is out there and I think it should be read by anyone with a wireless network.

As more people discover the importance of security protocols, wardrivers find themselves having to go after the next weakest targets.

loopyloo 19:01 18 May 06

I've changed it to WPA personal and have put in a made up code. In the wireless security settings in linksys in the column WPA algorithms you can select either TKP or AES. Does it matter which one you select.

ade.h 19:26 18 May 06

It's TKIP and that's the one that you normally use. AES is primarily used with WPA2.

ade.h 19:28 18 May 06

click here

click here

A bit techy, but good definitions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…