WEP Key

Lazzara 11:56 16 Nov 06

How do i find out what my WEP key is?? Everytime I try to create a new network and connect to it it says there is a WEP key/Passphrase that i need to know. I have reset my router but it make no difference. Is there anyway i can either reset my WEP key to not have one or find out what my current one is??

Strawballs 12:11 16 Nov 06

If you access you router's setup by connecting to it by wire and entering it's web based address in your browser my Linksys is 192.168.1.1
then go to the wireless security and you should find the WEP key there.

If your router and wireless adapters support it WPA is more secure

Hertz Van Rentyl 19:46 17 Nov 06

may be stuck on a label on the router somewhere

BBez 20:41 23 Nov 06

if it's a BT Home Hub or similar BB package then it should be on a bar code on the outer packaging.

Stawballs's suggestion of using WPA is recommended as a 64 bit WEP key can be broken in about an hour if you capture enough IV's.

When you setup WPA, it should ask you for a passprase to use for the encryption...

dms05 21:05 23 Nov 06

If you reset your Router it should have returned the to the factory defaults which will probably be no encryption. Are you sure you followed the correct procedure - mine requires the reset button to be pressed for at least 30 seconds.

You can then enter the router set up as suggested by Strawballs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…