WEP for ad hoc network

Wrinkly70 20:49 08 Jun 06

I have set up an ad hoc "open" network, and all is fine. However I believe that WEP would give a degree of security; I do not seem to have WPA available, and can lookout for people in my drive with a Laptop.
It appears I need a hex string (0 to 9 and a to f?) of 10 characters for 64 bit or 26 characters for 128 bit.
What is the difference between 64 and 128 bit? Can I dream up any hex string of the required length, then just enter it on the PC and Laptop?
I did read (in my searches on this forum to a link) that a 26 character hex string needs the prefix 0x. Is this correct and if so does a 10 character string need a prefix.

mgmcc 08:30 09 Jun 06

<<< What is the difference between 64 and 128 bit? >>>

128-bit is a higher level of encryption, more secure and harder to crack. For more detailed info click here

<<< Can I dream up any hex string of the required length, then just enter it on the PC and Laptop? >>>

Yes.

<<< I did read (in my searches on this forum to a link) that a 26 character hex string needs the prefix 0x. Is this correct and if so does a 10 character string need a prefix >>>

I haven't heard of that one and, if I get my router to create a 128-bit 26 character hex string it doesn't start with 0x (not that 'x' is a valid hex character).

I would suggest you try the available options and see how you get on. You are not going to damage anything by playing with encryption settings.

ade.h 13:56 09 Jun 06

You say that you can look out for people in your drive with a laptop. If they are there at all, they won't be in your driveway; they'll be down the road out of sight. Wardrivers base their methods on routed networks, which are much stronger - once a wireless signal escapes from the confines of a building, it has a relatively long range - though ad-hoc links don't have quite that strength.

If your neighbourhood has a choice of open networks, then you have nothing to worry about. Though the area will be a hotspot for activity in that case.

If there are no open networks around, your WEP is going to look quite inviting and present no challenge at all.

There's not much that you can do about that if you cannot use WPA/WPA2, but you should be aware of it anyhow.

Wrinkly70 16:16 12 Jun 06

Thank you "mgmcc" and "ade.h". Will continue my network "fiddling" with hex strings. Incidentally should now be "wrinkly72" - time flies!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now