Went to clean TV (also monitor) left with marks.

nufc2009 14:45 21 Aug 09

Hi, on the outer edge of the screen (the plastic bit) of my tv, i put a bit of polish on the duster (its been a while, gathered some dust!) and gently rubbed around the edge of the tv, now im left with these ugly marks on the black plastic.

any tips to get rid of it? By marks i mean, you can see where ive rubbed around and some speckles on there too.

Cheers

Technotiger 14:53 21 Aug 09

Try a little drop of Vinegar on the cloth!

sonyboy 15:10 21 Aug 09

Technotiger is correcct ..try a little diluted vinegar to remove the marks..With respect though....most plastic surfaces on PC's and associated components usually mention that use of polishes or other cleaning materials are not to be advised.
There is no absolute guarantee that any of the various products do not have solvent based materials in the formula and such solvent based types can damage plastic.
Warm water and a very little amount of Mild detergent is usually the most that is ever recommended.If your monitor edge trim is "Piano Black" ..this can show even the tiniest scuffing or finger marking...Hope it cleans up o/k

Stuartli 15:15 21 Aug 09

You should also keep such sprays well away from various audio and video connection sockets.

nufc2009 15:16 21 Aug 09

ok will try some water with a couple of drops of vinegar.

i realised after i did it i shouldnt of used polish, all my fault :(

thanks anyway

nufc2009 15:21 21 Aug 09

ok, got most of it out (the streaks anyway), but now its left with the little dot things

SB23 15:23 21 Aug 09

Just for future reference, I've been using a universal cleaner, originally bought for my monitor and keyboard on all my plastic around the house.
It can be used on glass, plastics (printer, keyboard, phone etc), and even metal. Comes in a pump spray, and its equivalent would be available from most pc shops.
It even works wonders on my LCD Tv.

I've always found that the "non smear" cleaners always leave smears, thats why I never use them.

Steve

nufc2009 15:32 21 Aug 09

ok cheers, anyway to remove the existing speckles though??

Thanks

oldbeefer2 16:09 21 Aug 09

Try a spot of car paint cleaner (like T Cut) on somewhere hidden - might do the trick (depends on the plastic). If it does work, carry on. If it doesn't, you're no worse off!

Technotiger 16:13 21 Aug 09

Try a drop of neat vinegar on the cloth.

GaT7 16:47 21 Aug 09

I mostly use a damp microfibre cloth only.

For stubborn marks (& only very rarely), a little bit of pure IPA (isopropyl alcohol) - it's colourless, odourless & leaves no residue. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…