Welcome screen ( sticking on)

muddypaws 15:51 06 Nov 08

XP Home SP2
Occasionally over the last month on booting up it wont go past the welcome screen.
A restart from the tower switch cures the problem.
Is this signs of an HD problem?
No noises from HD and once running behaves as normal all day.
Thanks.

woodchip 16:27 06 Nov 08

Windows Having a Problem with one of the drivers when its loading. See if it will start in safe mode, less drivers are loaded. Or hold the shift key down while windows is loading, this stops some drivers loading

Fingees 16:31 06 Nov 08

I had this problem a few years ago.
At that time it seemed that the hard drive was not at full speed when trying to start windows, especially on cold mornings.

I found the easiest way at that time was to go into bios, and disable Quick boot.

Quick boot when enabled, makes the computer skip a few checks on startup, thereby getting it to reach the boot up ssequence in 5 seconds.

by disabling quick boot, it gave time for the hard drive to reach speed.

It may help

birdface 16:41 06 Nov 08

Make sure all the air vents are clear of dust and fluff.if so inside might need cleaning also.

Clapton is God 16:41 06 Nov 08

Have you tried a Windows repair - sfc /scannow ?

muddypaws 17:07 06 Nov 08

Thanks for all those replies.
woodchip Never heard of that one will give it ago. It only seems to do it once in 4 or 5 boot ups.
Fingees Never heard of that one either!! Thicker than I thought! Will try .
buteman Regularly clean out--well every 2 or 3 months or so, so don't think it is that.
Clapton is God, Done a CHKDSK but not a scannow.
Is that quicker than CHKDSK which took a couple of hours a week or so back?
Probably wont do it again now.
Will report back.

birdface 18:05 06 Nov 08

Maybe try Winaso Optimizer.It only repairs 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like. click here You need the windows XP disc to do sfc /scannow.

muddypaws 18:22 06 Nov 08

buteman
Don't have the CD.
I use Winaso Opt. once a week. The 10 at a time one, but I use it after Eusing so it doesn't find too many. Thanks anyway.
Dare I query the CD being required? I'm sure I have used scannow before. Or did I try and found the CD is required!!!
woodchip
Presumably using 'shift' the remaining drivers load when required?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 06 Nov 08

sfc /scannow problems
click here

explains how to point sfc at the dll cache on the hardrive if you don't have a CD.

muddypaws 18:31 06 Nov 08

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Thanks.
Will post back tomorrow.
Thanks all.

birdface 19:36 06 Nov 08

Maybe try driver Max its free.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…