Welcome

Forum Editor 00:12 24 May 03

to our latest forum area.

Perhaps you already have a web site, or are thinking of dipping your toe into web design for the first time. Either way, this is the place to come and ask for help and advice. We're aiming to keep the technical language to a minimum, and to de-mystify the whole business wherever possible. Anyone can design and publish a basic site, so why not give it a try?

powerless 00:20 24 May 03

Well i'll try to.

HTML and all that isn't my thing. But hey i'm here to learn...!

Forum Editor 00:24 24 May 03

to seeing the results, and who knows - you might see your site being featured in the magazine one day. If there's anything you need to know, just ask.

Mysticnas 00:49 24 May 03

what software is best to use? getting a hold of software isn't a prob for me as my uni has most of it. Is dreamweaver any good?

and once i make a website, how do i get it online???

does it cost to do so?

DieSse 01:16 24 May 03

... but you've not put it into the headings yet ...

hugh-265156 01:48 24 May 03

as Powerless i hav`nt a clue. toyed around a bit with star office(cheating)but want to learn more.Mysticnas i used this to upload the site and is is very easy to use click here free.ntl give you 55mb of your own webspace as part of the deal.btopenworld give 50mb pipex give 50mb and so do most others.

Totally-braindead 03:05 24 May 03

Been thinking about it FE, may give it a try if I can find out where to start. Like Huggyg71 I mucked about with the StarOffice program but didn't like it at all, especially the so called help files. Think I'll maybe pop down to the library and see if they've got anything.

Forum Editor 08:00 24 May 03

Yes, Dreamweaver is an excellent program, but it does have a reasonably steep learning curve.

In my experience, self-taught designers tend to develop an affection for the program in which they first designed a site, and they stick to it through thick and thin. There's nothing wrong with that, but it can mean that you miss out on other, equally good applications. Try a few if you have access to them through your university - the latest edition of FrontPage is excellent (and there's an even better version that will be launched later this year).

When you want to go public I recommend that you use some free webspace to begin with. All ISP's provide you with server space, and there's no point in paying for 'proper' paid-for hosting until/unless you decide that your web site is fit for the wider world. Many ISP's will provide you with full instructions on how to upload your site to their server, and at that stage you can also come here for as much help as you need.

The very best way to get started is to do just that, get involved with a web-design package and experiment. You'll be a member of a huge club - there are tens of thousands of people making a start every day - and you'll gain in confidence as you see your site develop. Seeing your first creation go 'live' on the Internet is exciting, so why not get started?

Forum Editor 08:25 24 May 03

The forum will go into the page header soon.

anchor 12:13 24 May 03

Just found it. I look forward to reading tips and advice from the experts.

Front Page Express, (a cut down version of MS Front Page), used to be given away free with Windows, up to the release of Win98-SE. However, it is still available for free download from:

click here

click here

A tutorial is available from:
click here

Paperback Writer 13:07 24 May 03

Good luck with the new section FE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…