//some 3rd party need geo

Weird XP Prob

SimpleStevie 18:14 04 Mar 03

I had to reformat my HD the other day and reinstall windows XP. Since then It has recognised both my DVD and CD-RW drive as just CD drives in my computer etc, I can still burn CD's and watch DVD's so its not affecting anything, just a bit annoying. Anyone know how I can get XP to recognise the drives for what they are?

Forum Editor 18:35 04 Mar 03

both drives as CD drives only - do you mean in 'My computer'?

If so, join the club. All of my machines run WinXP and on all of them the drives are recognised this way - because as far as Windows is concerned that's what they are. They work perfectly well, as you say, so it doesn't make any difference.

If you look in device manager in Control panel/system/hardware you should see the drives identified specifically under the DVD/CD-ROM drives heading.

Gaz 25 18:40 04 Mar 03

Go into device manager, and delete the drivers for your DVD, then click add hardware and it should work ok then.

powerless 18:41 04 Mar 03

In "My Computer" They show as "DVD Drive" and "CD-RW Drive".

;-)

Djohn 18:44 04 Mar 03

SimpleStevie, I think that (My Computer) will only say CD drives unless you install the specific drivers for each drive, then it will display them as DVD and CDRW. That's how mine does it anyway. J.

« Ravin » 19:00 04 Mar 03

wats your secret :(

i have installed manufacturers drivers but only shows as cd rom :'(

ams4127 21:39 04 Mar 03

I'm the same as Powerless. "DVD drive" and "CD-RW drive". Both are Creative and using the XP drivers.

Gaz 25 21:49 04 Mar 03

Go into device manager, and delete the drivers for your DVD, then click add hardware and it should work ok then.

Then in My computer it will work, trust me. If it does not try again the above and post back if still not resolved, this solved the problem for me, Make sure you set the region as well for your DVD.

Hope this helps.
Gaz

mikeyb59 22:34 04 Mar 03

My XP Pro recognises the drives as DVD and CD-RW using only the XP drivers.

Have never loaded third-party software.

As Gaz 25 says - try deleting the drivers and restart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…