Weird symbol replaces pasted text in Word

setecio 15:38 24 Jul 08

I copy and paste text into word or into an email which uses Word in Outlook and instead of getting the text I copied I get this strange symbol.

[IMG]click here[/IMG]

Why and is there a fix so that it doesn't happen ?

DieSse 17:44 24 Jul 08

"I copy and paste text into word...."

Where is the text coming from?

setecio 09:04 25 Jul 08

In this case it is from a web page but I can't remeber where I was copying from before in previous occurrences. Copying first to notepad is a workaround I use but I'm wondering if there is a setting or a permanent fix.

skeletal 09:24 25 Jul 08

When using Word, many people imagine that a page of text is, well, a page of text! It isn’t. It is a hugely complex file full of all sorts of hidden code, some of which is recognisable as what we call “text”.

When cutting and pasting from various sources, sometimes, stuff from the sources incorrectly mimics something that Word interprets as a funny symbol, or formatting (e.g. text may spread over several pages instead of staying neatly in one place as per the original). Sometimes fonts can be misinterpreted, or missing (a common one I see is the yin and yang Chinese symbol in place of a letter).

Pasting into Notepad gets rid of the problem because this only deals in pure text, so any strange code that may be misinterpreted, is stripped out.

AFAIK, there is no way round the problem other than using something like Notepad first, which is what I do sometimes.

Skeletal

octal 10:40 25 Jul 08

Do you know what the character is that its trying to copy? It could be that the symbol you are trying to copy is not in the character set that Word has in its database.

DieSse 11:32 25 Jul 08

It's an icon - and it looks a bit like a locked bin of some kind - but I've not seen it before.

What browser are you using?

Can you easily try with another browser?

I suspect it's some sort of security icon from a browser - but having never seen it, and googling for icons is problematic (ie - next to impossible!), I can't really help.

It needs someone who recognises the icon.

DieSse 11:52 25 Jul 08

Right click on the icon - what does it say in Properties?

setecio 19:32 25 Jul 08

Thanks skeletal, I'll stick with notepad then.

If I right click on it and properties it doesn't seem to exist - 0 size and no info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…