weird start up

i recently uninstalled mcafee internet security and installed norton system works which contained norton 'go back'.
i dont know if this little fault is related but,when windows xp boots from the dos type screen a explorer type box appears with funny sqiggles in the title bar ,normally containing an e or an f in the middle of them(it seems to change)and a letter and 1or2 symbols in the main window.
there is an ok button which when pressed launches the windows welcome screen and everything boots fine its just an anoying fault that means i cant boot unattended.
i have tried to system restore but since uninstalling norton go back(memory eater!!) i have lost the ability to restore even though its switched on.
any help would be appreciated!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:40 18 Aug 06

thanx fruit bat it sort of verifies the problem was 'go back' but i would like to know how to rectify it other than a total reinstall

billyliv 00:38 19 Aug 06

Norton causes more problems than it is worth. There are a lot better anti virus progs that are free. Avast is one. Cheers, Bill

i'm inclined to agree i always used mcafee with no problems but this very magazine recomended norton as the top security which is true its so secure your pc dont work lol

terryf 02:53 19 Aug 06

Try AVG Free, there is a prog somewhere on the Symantec site to get rid of all traces of Norton, do a google with' un-install norton'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now