Weird PS/2 Mouse Problem

splatter 11:46 20 Nov 08

Hi all, really hope you can help me with this as it got me bamboozled. I have a PS/2 mouse that no longer works properly. It just decided not to work after a restart. The only thing that changed in the run up to this problem is that I unplugged my PS/2 keyboard and plugged in a USB one in its place. The old keyboard was a logitech so i un-installed the setpoint software, the new'un is a z-board so I installed the Z-Engine.

I have tried everything I can think of, uninstalling the device, restarting a thousand time, changing the mouse for another PS/2 mouse.

Now, before you say the PS/2 port is dud (and this is the bizzare thing), I booted into linux (openSUSE 11) and it works fine. I tried the Windows Installation disc...it *didnt* work. I booted from my bartPE disc and it works fine.

After that discovery I copied the mouse drivers from the BART disc to my flash drive and tried installing them and still no joy!

So I know the mouse works, I know its not a problem with the PS/2 port or a BIOS setting (since it works in Linux & BART) and so I am totally at a loss as to what the problem is!

Any help greatly appreciated as I would rather not go out and but a new mouse untill pay day, but thats a week away and frankly I can't wait that long.

Thanks in advance,
Jay

p.s. I'm using vista home premium.

Terminus90 12:36 20 Nov 08

you can roll-back to the previous mous drivers or you can implement a system restore to a time when your mouse was working ok.

splatter 12:38 20 Nov 08

hmm, yup, sure...only one slight problem with that. I turned restore off a while ago and have no backup points :( I know I need shooting for such a stupid offense!

splatter 16:53 09 Apr 09

sorry for re-surfacing old threads, but I did actually solve this!

I threw the PS/2 mouse out and bought a new one anyway! Not the most technically apt answer, but it got the job done!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…