weird problem with webcam

sirbenry 01:22 28 Aug 08

I have had a "logitec quickcam" webcam for about a year and all has gone well until recently. Whenever I am video chatting with my girlfriend on both AIM and Skype, the sound on her end will randomly get staticy to the point that she cant hear me and then randomly it clears up again. This happens for as little as 10 seconds to as long as 5 minutes and it has become quite a nuisance. It does not get staticy on my end at all, i can still hear her fine except for a sort of hollow sound that comes at the same time that her end it staticy. I purchased a new webcam thinking it was something wrong with my microphone, but the same thing still happens. She has tried video chatting with other people and the problem does not occur. Also, we have checked and both of our connections are fine throughout video conversations, so i dont think that is the problem. Is there something wrong with my computer?

ambra4 01:39 28 Aug 08

"The sound on her end will randomly get staticy to the point that she cant hear me and then randomly it clears up again"

Stop the video on one side and see if the audio improve it could be a bandwidth problem

sirbenry 02:43 28 Aug 08

how do i do that?

Technotiger 08:09 28 Aug 08

In Skype, simply click on Stop Video, or still in Skype - when chatting use a Separate microphone, as opposed to the mic built-in to the camera.

oldbeefer2 09:04 28 Aug 08

You say she has tried with other people and it's OK, but have you tried others? It might help the diagnosis a bit.

sirbenry 21:48 28 Aug 08

i just tried with someone and it did the same exact thing. :(

Technotiger 22:02 28 Aug 08

I was using Skype a few minutes ago, South Coast UK to/from Merseyside - usually very clear audio, but quite a bit of static tonight, I believe it is down to distant Lightning flashes causing the static.
Most times the audio is very clear, like being in the same room.

woodchip 23:14 28 Aug 08

may be your sound card

woodchip 23:16 28 Aug 08

a PCI card is very cheap and easy to fit, if you have a spare PCI slot. yours may be onboard sound

woodchip 23:18 28 Aug 08

click here
check post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…