Weird problem with our printer.

edenworkshops 09:55 13 Aug 13

Hello

I have just got a new Samsung ML-2160 laser printer.

I went to print a sheet of labels which I had printed from many times before, but the registration was all wrong, I checked the page size, both of the document and the printer settings and they were both set to A4.

I rpinted a blank page and the registration was perfect. I tried another label sheet and the registration was off again.

So it prints labels with perfect registration when I print onto a blank sheet of paper, but when I swithc to a sheet of labels the registration is way off.

Weird huh?

Thank you for your input.

Richard

spuds 10:47 13 Aug 13

Perhaps thickness of paper and label paper being different, causing roller sticking?.

It might also pay to check the drivers on the printer!.

edenworkshops 10:54 13 Aug 13

Note what you say about paper thickness.

How does one check printer drivers?

Richard

spuds 11:33 13 Aug 13

When you originally set-up the printer, there might have been a installation cd supplied. Go to the manufacturer's website, and check from there, as to the latest drivers available.

Another point to consider, is whether you are feeding one sheet or have other label sheets in a queue. It might pay to try feeding label paper, one at a time, if you haven't already tried this?.

If you are competent in delving inside a printer (turn off power supply), then look to see if a 'fluff', other obstacles or tightness of roller is present!.

What label paper are you using, including weight and thickness per sheet?.

edenworkshops 11:48 13 Aug 13

I will check for the latest drivers.

I tried feeding one sheet through, still the same problem.

The machine is brand new, but I checked and the paper pathway seems clear.

Sorry, only a guess at the weight of the paper...if standard laser copy paper is 90gsm, I would say the label paper is about 150gsm

Richard

Woolwell 11:51 13 Aug 13

In the printer properties did you select labels? According to the manual you can only load 10 label sheets at a time.

edenworkshops 12:20 13 Aug 13

Odd.

While in printer properties I selected "Start easy eco driver before printing". And the problem has cleared it self.

But I do see that the paper default can be set for various weights of paper, didn't see that before, so if the problem returns I know what to try.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

woodchip 21:23 17 Aug 13

You need to use a Wordprocessor that prints labels then select from list the size you want to print. I use Corel WordPerfect 8 and it presents one label at a time fill it in the press Ctrl + Enter for next label. You can use the above to select the right label on the page if you only want one to print. Select type for labels from list Laser Inkjet etc. Or in mine I can create a Custom Label if I buy cheap ones

woodchip 21:25 17 Aug 13

PS your Label Page may be letter size not A4 that you are using, in which case it would be in a different place on the page

compumac 22:31 17 Aug 13

I had a similar problem. You state that the registration on an A4 sheet is correct but not on the sheet of labels. How are you establishing that the A4 sheet registration is correct? What labels are you using, Avery?

I had a similar problem. Print an A4 sheet of paper with the believed correct alignment and then hold the label paper over the top and in front of a bright light. See if the A4 alignments DO tie up with the label sheet.

compumac 22:34 17 Aug 13

You state that the registration on an A4 sheet is correct but not on the sheet of labels. How are you establishing that the A4 sheet registration is correct? What labels are you using, Avery?

I had a similar problem. Print an A4 sheet of paper with the believed correct alignment and then hold the label paper over the top and in front of a bright light. See if the A4 alignments DO tie up with the label sheet.

I also found that some label sheets had differing margins top/ bottom left/right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5