Weird Problem

freddie911boot 08:40 27 Jul 10

Right, where do I start?

This morning I turned my PC on and it booted onto my Vista hard drive, not the usual W7. I shutdown and checked in bios and everything was correct with both hard drives showing, I disabled the Vista drive yet it still booted into it. I then disconnected that drive and tried booting to W7 but it failed asking for the repair setup, I tried a repair but it failed.

When I looked for the drive after booting into Vista it had vanished from My Computer and Disk Drive management but it was still in the bios. I then took the hard drive out and put it in an external caddy thing and connected it to my Dad's PC (win xp). Everything appeared and I could see all my files; I then connected it to two more PCs both W7 and all I could see was the 100mb partition that is created when installing.

After this I tried re-installing on that drive, this didn't work however because it didn't appear as a selction in the installation. By this time I was getting pretty annoyed so decided to try a new hard drive. This was formatted and I then installed W7 with partions as (500gb, 500gb, 250gb, 180gb roughly) with no problems apart from one partition not showing up in My Computer. Once booted I installed anti-virus and graphics drivers and rebooted however when it got to the log in screen it blue screened. I tried again and it blue screened again; I then tried repairing using the W7 disc, I left it for an hour but it did nothing.

Eventually I tried to do a re-install on the new hard drive. Once in the "Where do you want to install Windows?" section, only the 180gb partition showed as an installation area (this was the partition that didn't show up in My Computer) and also the system reserved 100mb. Windows will not install onto this however as it says it is unallocated space.

mgmcc 08:58 27 Jul 10

I'd be inclined to remove all partitions from the drive. Then install Windows 7, letting it create the partition of the appropriate size in which you want to install it. Leave the rest of the drive as "Unallocated Space". Once you have Windows 7 up and running, you can use its Disk Management to partition and format the rest of the hard drive.

freddie911boot 09:51 27 Jul 10

I've formatted the partions and tried installing windows but they aren't showing up in the W7 installation so I can't delete them. The only thing that shows up is the 100mb partion and unallocated space which can't be installed on to.

freddie911boot 09:59 27 Jul 10

The other odd thing is I am running it now on the old Vista hard drive and it is fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac