Weird Folder Access Permissions

PaulB2005 15:15 20 Jan 06

Windows XP Home.

PC has been infected with Sumom.C worm - now clean.

However the PC has 4 Administrator accounts.

When you install software under 1 account all the folders are locked out to all the other accounts. i.e. Installed AVG, all works OK, log out to another account, AVG won't run, the "shortcut is invalid" and browsing to the folder results in "C:\program files\Grisoft is not accessible. Access is denied"

Same for another other program you install....

Any ideas?

ade.h 17:11 20 Jan 06

It sounds as if Privacy settings of the kind that cn be applied to a user's Docs and Settings have somehow been activated on the Program Files folder. How though?!

This might need a delve into the registry to sort out, but I'm not certain where you might start looking for this...

ade.h 17:13 20 Jan 06

I've just had a look at a folder in Program Files and the Privacy option on the second tab is very understandably greyed out.

PaulB2005 17:19 20 Jan 06

ade.h - thanks. You've just confirmed what i found. There doesn't seem to be a way to set permissions on Program File folders. However i did run a CHKDSK and it flashed up and error about the "second NTFS is corrupt" - does this make sense?

Discussed with owner - neither of us can work it out or have seen anything like this before.

Agreed to run the Recovery CD. Whilst I'd like to get to the bottom of it time is pressing on....

Google tuns up nothing and no-one i know can come up with anything.

PaulB2005 17:22 20 Jan 06

NTFS Error also at click here

ade.h 17:23 20 Jan 06

"Google tuns up nothing and no-one i know can come up with anything"

Yeah, most of my probs seem to be of that variety! Been running fairly smoothly recently, touch wood.

"second NTFS is corrupt" does not ring any bells, I'm afraid. Though it doesn't sound too good....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…