Weird email, Scam/Virus?

rawprawn 08:20 26 Jan 12
Answered

This morning I got an email purporting to be from American Airlines showing I had bought a ticket as this

Hello

FLIGHT NUMBER AB221 ELECTRONIC 8383035 DATE & TIME / JANUARY 31, 2012, 09:11 PM ARRIVING / Oceanside TOTAL PRICE / 122.12 USD

Please find your ticket attached. You can print your ticket.

"Hello" sounds wrong and I cannot open the "Ticket" and I have just checked my credit cards (Nothing Showing) Anybody seen this before? RP

cocteau48 08:30 26 Jan 12

Hi rawprawn

I do not know if this is a scam or not.

I hope that by even trying to open the "Ticket" you have not compromised your system.

I would be running a full set of scans just in case.

rawprawn 08:36 26 Jan 12

Morning cocteau48, I should have said I looked at it on my Mac, not on my Windows computer so I think the chances of me getting a virus is minimal. Still it really does make you wonder.

Ian in Northampton 08:44 26 Jan 12

The question to ask here is the same one you ask when you get an email saying you've won the lottery. But instead of "Did I ever buy a ticket for the lottery?" in this case it would be "Did I ever buy a ticket from American Airlines?" If the answer in either case is "no", then it's patently a scam and following a link or opening an attachment is potentially dangerous. Having a Mac, you may have got away with it...

rawprawn 08:50 26 Jan 12

I am interested to see if I can find out anything else. I am just doing a full Acronis backup on Windows and I will then have a look at it with Norton.

onthelimit1 08:56 26 Jan 12

Friend yesterday had several emails purporting to come from DHL, with a click here for parcel tracking. It all looked genuine apart from the 'Hello Dear' at the start! Oh, and he hadn't ordered anything.

Batch 09:00 26 Jan 12

This sounds a classic scam to get you to open an infected attachment.

You know that you haven't ordered / bought anything, but they rely on your curiosity getting the better of you.

PLEASE DO NOT OPEN THESE UP!

rawprawn 09:02 26 Jan 12
Answer

OK Discretion is the better part of valour, I have deleted the offending item.

Thanks RP

clock 10:33 26 Jan 12

Hi Rawprawn, Know you have marked this as resolved but just wanted to tell you that I had the same e-mail from American Airlines in November, different price etc., and was lucky that I cannot open anything in the format they sent, because curiosity did get the better of me!!

Checked credit card company, bank etc., and up to today no money has been taken.

Incidentally, I googled the airline and it appears to be ligit, but experiencing financial problems etc.

Clock

Woolwell 11:42 26 Jan 12

It's a scam. Variants of this have been around for a few years now. Do not open but delete immediately. It is not from American Airlines. If you look closely at the message properties you find out but unless you have a robust anti-virus I do not recommend doing this.

rawprawn 11:50 26 Jan 12

Thanks for the further posts, I have deleted it, but I did note that the attachment had Zero Bytes.

clock thanks for the reassurance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…