Weed out words?

tnelis 10:47 05 Apr 04

Is there a way to automatically isolate an appearance of a word in a list of words, eg I have a full dictionery of words, and I want to end up with a list where the word "log" appears. So if the big list contains:

The resulting list would be:

AbodeMilano 11:01 05 Apr 04

Is this in relation to a program, or one you are writing?

tnelis 11:07 05 Apr 04

All I have is a big text file of words, each on a seperate line....I need this because I am inventing a word puzzle which involves finding all words that contain another specific word eg "log" is found in "catalogue" and many other words.

AbodeMilano 11:10 05 Apr 04

What program are you using to view the text file?

tnelis 11:13 05 Apr 04

You know the tool "find and replace" in Word? Well I need something like "find and isolate" so I am left with only the relevant words??

118-118 Got Your Number 11:21 05 Apr 04

Have you got Excel?

tnelis 12:33 05 Apr 04

yes, i got excel...Can I use that for this problem?

118-118 Got Your Number 15:56 05 Apr 04

It is a lot easier to filter text in Excel than in Word.

If you look up the Text Based Functions such as =Find =Left =Right etc.

Open your text file in excel - a text import wizard will come up and once you have completed it, you will be able to apply conditions to various cells to look for your 'log' text string.

=Find() looks as though it will do the job for you as follows:-

=find("log",[enter cell ref here],1)

Using this formula will return a numeric value upon finding "log". eg catalogue will = 5 because the letter 'L' is the fifth character from the left of the beginning of the text string.

If 'log' doesn't exist then the standard #value error will appear. From here you can just ignore/delete them as you see fit.

tnelis 16:18 05 Apr 04

Great....good solution, thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…