Wednesday lightning alert

Graham ® 09:29 19 Jul 06

Cornwall and Wales in the firing line
click here

rmcqua 10:38 19 Jul 06

According to the met. office, nothing much expected until Thursday (maybe a few isolated bits overnight tonight, Wednesday).

Graham ® 10:41 19 Jul 06

I have to go down the M1 on my scooter for a service! Wouldn't you know it!

NewestRoyWidd 11:08 19 Jul 06

Hi,you're a braver man than I,using your scooter on the M1,and this is from the owner of a 1200cc Bandit! lol.(and that's not meant as disrespect to scooter riders)
NRW

mole44 11:09 19 Jul 06

lets hope like me you all have a surge protector just in case.i use a belkin,switch went on one of my units once got a return number ,job sorted (a new one).

Graham ® 11:22 19 Jul 06

It's not something I relish. It does 75mph, though. click here

NewestRoyWidd 11:34 19 Jul 06

Graham ®,mine's slightly faster,click here
But I still try to avoid motorways whenever possible.

namtas 12:17 19 Jul 06

Wednesday lightning alert

>>lets hope like me you all have a surge protector>>

I have to keep saying this, as I am concerned some appear to be not fully understanding the position, no disrespects to mole44 or surge protector manufacturers or suppliers.

A surge protector will not protect your pc or any other connected equipment if you are unfortunate to suffer the direct effect of a lightning strike at close proximity.

The problem I think arises because usually we can associate lightning with surges on the grid system which if severe enough can cause damage due to what is known as brown out, this is where the lights will dim and then usually come up again or simply flicker, your tv might go off and reset itself.

A surge protector will usually protect your system in this situation and everyone should have one for this reason, however a full blown lightning storm that is on your doorstep requires a little bit more awareness.

Surge protectors, protects against fluctuating surges in your incoming power supply and also in some case prevent surges in the telephone system.

At the first sign of activity Disconnect completely by removing the plug and also disconnect the telephone equipment and find another activity until it passes.

VCR97 21:29 19 Jul 06

I think that this was originally posted by octal some weeks ago.
click here

VCR97 21:32 19 Jul 06

That should be (I hope):
click here

VCR97 21:33 19 Jul 06

Oh well. Just click on mains-borne surge in the panel on the left.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…