Wedding picture swaps

Wilham 20:46 04 Jun 03

I've just come from a wedding. Guests were snapping away, lucky ones with the latest digital still cameras (camcorders had been discouraged) and some of us agreed to swap results via our broadband emails. But we don't know how to do it.
I have about 100 .jpg images taking up 50MB. The idea was to exchange unedited bulk and let recipients sort what they want. The folder size is unsuitable for the usual email attachment. Someone suggested Yahoo Picture Sender, but wasn't sure. We didn't want to publish all on a web site.
So what's an easy way of sending a picture folder?

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:52 04 Jun 03

click here and download the freebie 'photoresizer'. You can resize the photos to 40ish Kb each and they will still be good quality. In the free version you can save each photo to a folder for bulk sending....the pro version lets you resize en masse.

G

Wilham 21:03 04 Jun 03

This could have been a good idea (to condense) but I know we want to keep max resolutions. OK, there's a bit of competition,- call it snobbery.
But thanks.

slowhand_1000 21:39 04 Jun 03

Have any of you got MSN Messenger, ICQ or any other chat program. They allow you to transfer large files between each other. Or you could use an FTP program.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:29 04 Jun 03

Can you not burn them to CD and send by snailmail?

G

Wilham 22:54 04 Jun 03

There's a variety of snappers in the bulk photo swap, only common factor was broadband email;- so we could download large files. MSN Messenger's a possibility, though one in the group had a Mac. Thanks for the thoughtful ideas. File transfer protocol org needs pre-arrangements, I don't really know all the five snappers in this exchange, just the email addresses.I suppose I'm looking for a way to overcome size limit on usual email attachments. Before broadband large attachments ran slow, then hung. I'd like to know max size of transfer file/attachment with broadband. Thanks for your ideas.

PSF 23:07 04 Jun 03

I have NTL BB and the limit for e-mails is 10meg.

With Outlook Express you can 'break up' the files into smaller sizes and then send them.

To apply it go to Tools>>accounts>>properties of your account>>advanced>>>sending>>tick 'break apart files larger than xxx', set a size and then send the e-mail.

The e-mail will then be split up into smaller sizes.
When the person receives the e-mail OE will put all of the e-mails back together again.

I sent someone an e-mail like this tonight, the recipient was using Outlook 2000. The e-mail was not reassembled at his end. As long as you friends are using Outlook Express it will work ok.

Wilham 23:14 04 Jun 03

CD to each would work, I'd have to email 3 of the other 5 to ask addresses. I may end up doing this. At the time we thought it easy to swap via email. I think we are keen on comparing camera reults. Mine is an Olympus 2500L Others included Nicn 4330, fuji 401, Fuji 410. Most of the ceremony no flash was allowed, with free-for-all after, Yes, we'd like to compare camera performances.
I think I must split the folder into manageable chunks for attachments.

fitshase 23:15 04 Jun 03

I notice that you said you didn't want to publish them on a website.

Why not just zip the files, upload it to your webspace (provided by your ISP) and e-mail the link to the other parties.

The pictures will not be on a website (i.e., the photos won't be visible), but on a zip file stored on your ISP's servers where only the people who have the full address of the file (give it a name consisting on numbers and letters - like wedding123456snaps2003download.zip) can get to it.

This way they can download the zip file and you do not have to worry about e-mail sizes, etc.

Specify a timeframe for them to download the file and then you can remove it from your webspace.

Regards

Fitshase

Wilham 23:28 04 Jun 03

Thanks for info PSF, - on the nail. When I went broadband Tiscali changed me from Outlook Express to Tiscali's own mail handler. It's not as good as OE, I'm wary of trying to switch case I lose data, that will be another thread. One non-tech guy has a mac. I think email attachments will get through. Thanks again for help.

Wilham 23:40 04 Jun 03

Wrap the zips inside the website. This is clever, and I might yet do it. It's not an immediate solution because at least two in our group of six are strictly non-tech. In the long term I think your answer is splendid. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…