Wecam Buying dilema

malynx 14:09 13 Aug 08
Answered

I've been persuaded to get myself a webcam and have narrowd it down to the following two:

Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX (plus)
click here

and

Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000
click here

Both are available for about £20 - (however the MS cam is on offer, down from £35).

Spec-wise there doesn't seem much to choose between them, however the MS cam offers a Pan, Tilt and Zoom function which appeals to me - I'm not the best looking chap and being able to vary the cam's view seems a good feature.

I've read mixed reviews of the Logitech cam - with it getting scores from 3 stars to best buy awards!
Whereas the only magazine review of the MS cam gave it a mediocre 3 stars.

Can anyone advise me on which cam I should go for?
Does anyone know how their picture quality compares?

Thanks in advance.

Border View 14:11 13 Aug 08

I have the Logitech Quic Cam and find it excellent. Cant comment on the Microsoft one.

oldbeefer2 14:38 13 Aug 08

Depending on how much webcamming you're going to do, you might consider the Logitech Pro 9000. It's one of the cameras which give superior quality through Skype. Sell for under 40 quid. I have one and rate it highly.

Technotiger 14:46 13 Aug 08

I second oldbeefer2, I also have the Pro9000, quite simply Excellent. My son in Lanzarote has the Logitech Pro4000 which is one of only three webcams (to the best of my knowledge)that is compatible with Mac to PC communication, using Skype. The Pro9000 also has Pan/Tilt/Zoom plus other fun additional items.

Technotiger 14:49 13 Aug 08
  RobCharles1981 15:39 13 Aug 08

As Technotiger said I've just brought the Pro9000 it an excellent piece of kit.

woodchip 15:42 13 Aug 08

You can also get a Cam that follows you round when you move

Technotiger 15:44 13 Aug 08

Hi, the Pro9000 does this, plus other fun bits.

woodchip 15:48 13 Aug 08

You can also get a Cam that follows you round when you move click here

varies other cams click here

Technotiger 15:51 13 Aug 08

Another excellent feature of the Pro9000 is its Rightlight2 Technology - so that even in an unlit room at night, the light given off by the screen is enough to produce a very good picture of the user.

malynx 14:01 14 Aug 08
Answer

Thanks for all the replies and links guys - all useful to me.

I had no idea the Pro-9000 was as lowly priced as that.
Further research show it gets top reviews everywhere, only 'beaten' in one group test by the Creative Live! Cam Optia AF & Optia Pro cams which in that reported had a much clearer picture. That said, everywhere else rates them more lowly than the Pro 9000. The cheapest I can see the Optia AF is £45, which is significantly over the £20 - £30 I was intending to spend.

So you've persuaded me to go for the Pro 9000 - and I'll be ordering tomorrow (unless someone convinces me otherwise).

Thanks again for the great responses

:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…