Webspace - Free Space Remaining - How?

Pesala 23:11 04 Nov 03

I use FTP Commander to manage my webspace. How can I tell how much free space remains? FTP Commander is pretty basic, but there is an option to enter a command.

Pesala 10:44 05 Nov 03

I tried typing in some commands that seem to be available in FTP Commander, like "Stat," but I just get a message,

Error 500 'STAT ' not understood.

I also tried DIR *.* /s but that was also not understood. Surely there must be some easy way to know how much space is used or free on the server?

Diodorus Siculus 10:55 05 Nov 03

Well, one way would be to explore all that is on the remote site (your webspace) and select it all; then get the properties and it should tell you how much space is taken up. Then subtract that from what you have in total.

Sorry if that sounds simplistic; it works for me using WS_FTP.

Pesala 11:12 05 Nov 03

I can see how many kbytes are used in one directory by selecting all of the files, but there are dozens of directories and subdirectories.

I can also see how much space is used by my website by publishing to my local drive, but the space used will only be very approximate. Windows Explorer tells me that there are 7.53 Mbytes in 519 files and 148 folders, total size on disk is 13.2 Mbytes. I believe that servers use a more efficient file structure so that might be only 9 Mbytes on the server, but that is just a wild guess.

There are also many other files besides my main website. I really have no idea whether I have 40 Mbytes free or only 14 Mbytes.

Pesala 09:25 06 Nov 03

I answer hundreds of questions on this forum, but nobody answers my questions. Its not fair, grumble, grumble, sob, sob. (;_;)

It is nice to see that the forum is getting so many hits though. The new format has speeded thing up that questions disappear off the first page faster than ever.

Sir Radfordin 11:51 06 Nov 03

WS_FTP (which can be got for free) does show you the quotas if its set up on the FTP server you connect to. I've got several FTP sites that I connect to, some give me a quota others don't.

May be worth downloading it and seeing if it helps - though don't you know how much you uploaded in the first place?

powerless 11:57 06 Nov 03

*Overworked and Underpaid
I answer hundreds of questions on this forum, but nobody answers my questions. Its not fair, grumble, grumble, sob, sob. (;_;)*

I'm with ya there!

Jester2K II 12:09 06 Nov 03

Can't the ISP tell you? Blueyonder allows me to see stats of visotrs and also shows me how (little) of the space i have used...

Jester2K II 12:09 06 Nov 03

Can't the ISP tell you? Blueyonder allows me to see stats of visitors and also shows me how (little) of the space i have used...

Pesala 12:10 06 Nov 03

Downloaded the LE version, but it won't install on Windows ME.

It is difficult to keep track of how much I have uploaded, and anyway the space taken up may be widely different due to different sector sizes.

All I need is a simple directory command like dir *.* /s to use on the server. I don't know why that should be difficult, but it's a Unix server so maybe doesn't recognise DOS commands.

Pesala 12:25 06 Nov 03

No wonder you call yourself Jester! Have you ever tried getting help from NTL?

I have two webspaces. About 100 Mbytes on click here and 50 Mbytes at NTL. I am not getting close to the limit yet, but I could very easily do that if I started uploading MP3 files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…