Websites & widescreen monitors

GaT7 17:13 11 Sep 06

I recently purchased a 19" widescreen TFT monitor. The native resolution is 1440 x 900 with a 10:6 aspect ratio.

Most websites, including this one (click here), appear very narrow.

Thankfully, some automatically adjust (click here), with NO columns on either side or to the left/right.

Using the 'zoom' function (in Avant & Opera) makes things better, but the visual quality of the sites diminish, while other sites that automatically adjust irrespective of the resolution don't look as good when 'zoomed' (I cannot have one tab zoomed while another isn't).

Is there a setting somewhere that don't require websites to be zoomed to fill the screen? Or, is this something that's dependent on each website & I'll just have to live with it? Ta, G

DieSse 17:33 11 Sep 06

*Or, is this something that's dependent on each website & I'll just have to live with it?*

It's to do with how the website is coded - so you'll just have to liver with it.

DieSse 17:35 11 Sep 06

*so you'll just have to liver with it.*

and onions? - luvverly

Sorry I don't always think to press the spell check!

anskyber 17:38 11 Sep 06

I imagine the BBB web site looks very much the same to you. Even "normal" aspect screens have the blue bands on each side for PCA. Some do not and as I understand it the answer is it depends on how the individual sites are set up.

anskyber 17:39 11 Sep 06

Its catching. BBB=BBC

GaT7 18:58 11 Sep 06

Thanks all. I used to have my previous monitor (15" CRT) set at 800 x 600 & most were fine.

Yes, the BBC site has a blank space/column to the right.

"Sorry I don't always think to press the spell check!" - spellcheck wouldn't have caught it, unless yours has some kind of AI ; ), G

DieSse 19:00 11 Sep 06

*spellcheck wouldn't have caught it*

That's true!

Basically some sites are a fixed size - so up the number of pixels on the display, and they get smaller. Nothing you can do.

ade.h 19:13 11 Sep 06

Many of us prefer to design with fixed-width layouts, as it keeps full control of position and size. Many layouts just mess up too easily with dynamic resizing, and sometimes it is necessary to stay with a fixed-width layout. In the old days of tables, it was horrendously complex trying to nest umpteen tables and make them dynamic! CSS has improved things enormously and allowed many more dynamic layouts that are harder to break.

The "what width to use" issue is an old one. We have to cater for older monitors (as much as it pains me to do so!) and most of those with high-res screens tend not view their browsers in full-screen mode, because there is nothing to gain unless you like to keep sidebars open at all times.

ade.h 19:17 11 Sep 06

A point that I forgot to mention: there is a sensible rule of thumb for text width that says "never let it span the entire page width". Apart from making your visitors feel like they are watching a tennis match as they read it, low-res screens will require continuous side scrolling if your layout is wider than c.760px.

powerless 19:19 11 Sep 06

You should see PCA on 1920x12000 :-(

powerless 19:20 11 Sep 06

ummm

1920x1200

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…