website/hosting

kidsis 19:27 05 May 08

is it possible to have a web site (just one or two pages) without having anyone "host" it - this would be just a personal thing for family/friends to look at. I aim to use software that "does everything" for me to make it as easy as possible, would that software (not chosen yet) also put the page on the net at the click of a button? Any advice gratefully received. I did have the idea of password protecting the site and saw a post a few days ago about that which was very helpful.

mco 20:56 05 May 08

often has space specifically for this. Or else there are free sites such as piczo click here or myspace click here or - if you want it a bit more grown up - lycos tripod click here

kidsis 16:11 06 May 08

mco, thanks for your response to my query. I will check out my isp as I believe there is a certain amount of free space available, though I am not sure if I would still be able to use the software I am thinking of or whether the isp expects people to use scripting.

Forum Editor 23:06 06 May 08

A site can only appear on the internet if it is published to a web server and has a unique address. This means that it must be hosted, either in the free space provided by your ISP, or in the web space provided with a 'proper' hosting package by a web-hosting company.

Pretty well any site design software will do if you simply want a personal site - as you do. You may even find that your ISP provides some basic software free of charge.

kidsis 13:19 07 May 08

thanks to forum editor for this further advice. I did check and my isp provides 250 mb web space which I am sure would be fine, though I didn't see any mention of free software. They appear to say that php should be used but I am going to check on that again, I think the best way forward is for me to post a message for them to say what I have been planning to do as noted above, and ask them if it is possible. Thanks once again for all advice received.

Forum Editor 19:17 08 May 08

is make sure you have your login details for your free webspace, and then publish your site - you don't need to ask your ISP if it's possible, because it is.

PHP is a scripting language, and all web hosts support it. You don't need to get involved with it however, at least not until you have progressed a little further along the web-design learning curve.

Your ISP's website will contain full instructions for uploading your site to your server space, and you should be able to do it from within any decent web design software application. If you want some help to choose an appropriate product we'll be glad to help - just say so, and one of us will advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos