Website pictures sometimes don't appear

Pineman100 16:53 12 Sep 07

When I visit a website, I usually have no problems. But from time to time, instead of a picture, I'll just get the well-known red X - I think it's called a "placeholder".

Why does this happen, and what can I do to prevent it? I suspect it may be something to do with firewall settings - if so, please could you explain precisely which settings I need to alter?

Many thanks.

Marko797 17:15 12 Sep 07

U need to allow cookies for the site that ur viewing in ur f/w controls. Which f/w do u have?

Pineman100 17:27 12 Sep 07

Cookies? Really? How do they affect pictures?

I'm using Norton 360 with the Windows (XP SP2 Home) firewall turned off. There's also a firewall turned on in my Belkin router.

Clapton is God 17:30 12 Sep 07

Assuming IE is your browser, go to Tools; Internet Options and ensure that Privacy and Security settings are both set as 'Default'.

Pineman100 18:03 12 Sep 07

Security was at a Custom setting, so I've reset it to Default.

On the Privacy tab, the Default button is greyed out. Does that mean that it's already set at Default?

Acx 18:27 12 Sep 07

You could also check Tools>Internet Options >content>content advisor>enable and see what any slider is set to (none on mine).

If you have any other parental control software you could look those settings.

Pineman100 18:34 12 Sep 07

Content Advisor is not enabled on my computer.

And as for parental controls... I lost control of my kids about 30 years ago!!

Clapton is God 18:55 12 Sep 07

"On the Privacy tab, the Default button is greyed out. Does that mean that it's already set at Default?"

Yes

Pineman100 19:05 12 Sep 07

for your suggestions. I've made the suggested changes to IE. This has been an infrequent problem, so it will take me a while to see whether it's solved.

I'll report back at a later date.

Many thanks again.

Acx 19:23 12 Sep 07

'as for parental controls... I lost control of my kids about 30 years ago!!' ..........I'm just getting to that stage, I think.

If it's infrequent then it could be the actual web site that you are viewing that's to blame.

Pineman100 18:09 26 Sep 07

Just to let you know that in the two weeks that have passed since I last posted, the problem hasn't appeared once. So - fingers crossed - it seems to be solved.

Many thanks to everyone. Your advice is much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…