website as an 'office'

jz 22:07 13 Nov 03

Someone has asked me if it's possible to set up a website to act as an 'office', ie, only a few people can access it who have the password, and they can all put (ie upload) documents in the office (website). This is better than everyone sending things by email to all the others since with email, everything is spread across several emails, and it takes discipline to make sure that you are looking at the email with the most up-to-date version of the document in question.

Is this easy to do (ie code in HTML, etc)? How is it done so that eveyone can upload? Presumably this thread click here deals with the password aspect.

Forum Editor 22:31 13 Nov 03

to do what you are describing is to use the Microsoft Sharepoint services. The capabilities of this technology are simply stunning, and can enable you to run an online 'office' comoplete with facilities for meetings, document sharing, collaborative working etc., etc.

I've been using the Sharepoint services technology for a while now, and I'm very impressed - if you're serious about online collaborative working there's really no other choice.

To find out more
click here

jz 22:42 13 Nov 03

Hi FE, thanks for your fast reply.

I took a quick look at the your link. I couldn't figure out what the requirements are for all the people who would use this website (ie all the people who are 'collaborating'. Do they all need Windows Server 2003, or is that only on the server itself?.

Thanks again for your reply...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…