website needs code to load main frame please

portalperson 08:27 08 Mar 08

I wonder if anyone can help?

I have designed a web site:

click here

That I am content with (although I would welcome general comments about the site!)

The problem I am having is this. The domain is hosted on one server and has a DNS redirect to another server where the website code is located. All works fine when working normally from the start page as above. Where it goes wrong is if someone chooses a subpage directly (as for example coming from google) such as:

click here

What was happening was that the page was loading without the frame being around it - so you would not know what the web site was (or why you had been directed there).

A friend has supplied some code which should work but for some reason it does load the main frame but ends up on the home page every time. Obviously this is better for me but not much use to the enquirer! Try the link above to see what I mean.

I am using a main page with an inline frame that starts off with the page introtext.html

Hope someone can point me in the right direction!

Forum Editor 09:16 08 Mar 08

move the domain name? Have it hosted with the site, it's a simple thing to arrange.

portalperson 19:05 08 Mar 08

The site has some cgi scripts that the host server uses to forward replies to forms to me. Not sure if the domain host allows cgi scripts or could support them if they did.

Kemistri 19:22 08 Mar 08

Why use CGI and why use frames?

portalperson 19:48 08 Mar 08

Why use CGI?

I do not know how to get the result of a form that a user has filled in sent to me - so I use a cgi (or maybe it is a Java Script code which means I have put everyone off the track!) script that was written for me to get this to happen.

Why use Frames?

I like inframes - they leave the outline of the websites there when pressing an option and only changes the information screen that needs to be changed. Probably there are better and slicker ways of doing just that - but i found inline frames worked and stuck with them.

p.s. I myself think it is most unprofessional when you click an option and everything on the website rebuilds itself. And some large company ones seem to work that way too! It is just my opinion though - so that is why!

p.p.s if there is a better way I would be very interested of course.

Kemistri 19:58 08 Mar 08

There certainly is a better way, and that is to build well-constructed, modern, accessible, secure and standards-compliant websites. Here are two good reasons to avoid frames:

[1] Search engines cannot reliably index the entire page content as seen by a user agent -- you have discovered that one already.
[2] Accessibility -- frames do not sit well with accessibility requirements.

CGI is definitely not the best way to run a form (and neither is JS, for the most part). Use PHP.

portalperson 11:09 12 Mar 08

Thanks for the comments and I will be acting on them shortly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5