WEBSITE TO MATCH SCREEN RESOLUTIONS?

rotormota 08:38 06 Nov 08

Hi,
I have recently replaced my 'square' monitor for a 19' widescreen & it quickly became apparent that the websites I have produced do not fill the browser page as they did before. Instead, the site is centred top with large amounts of white space to the sides & base.

Is there a method to make my sites fill the screen?

I am on XPMCE & use Serif WebPlus X2.

Thanks.
J

DieSse 13:36 06 Nov 08

Many of the top websites (including this one!) work with fixed widths, centred.

This is done to maintain the look and feel of the site, as proportional sizing can be tricky, and not end up looking like you intend.

These days it is common to design for 800 pixel wide screens, and more and more common to design for 1028 pixel wide screens.

You can implement statistics (sometimes your ISP will do them) which will tell you the resolutions at which people browse your site (and a whole lot more too), which would help you.

Ryanmt 10:32 07 Nov 08

<table width="90%"> etc is what your after, the page will stretch and still leave some gaps at the side

babybell 14:01 07 Nov 08

I tried building my site with liquid properties (% instead of pixels) and it caused more problems than it was worse, mainly because written content would fill up a cell to one viewer but another view would have the same amount of text to read but it would be gaps everywhere. Take this PC Adviser site as an example. Clearly fixed width but still looks neat and presentable, and therein lies the key!

djbenny 14:45 24 Nov 08

use percentages rather than pixels in your designs :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…