Website Images

soupz 19:08 21 Oct 07

Hello,

Just a quick question, Is it illegal to copy/take another websites photos and product images for you own site? I understand that some photos have water marks which I know means that its their own property but what about images that dont have watermarks? Can I use it for my own website?

Fermat's Theorem 19:29 21 Oct 07

If you don't own them you can't use them!

If you find an image (or text) in a book do you think you have permission to use it without prior authorisation? Rhetorical question - of course the answer is a loud and emphatic "no"!

However, writing to the relevant site webmaster may prove fruitful in any given case where you would like permission to reproduce given material.

Basically, just because an image is not watermarked does not mean that you have the intellectual property to it!

Hope this helps :-)

soupz 20:04 21 Oct 07

Thankyou for the reply! I didnt know that.

Would you be able to advise on what I should do?

Basically, i'm wanting to sell a small range of diamond rings online but dont have any professional pictures to put on the website. I thought that I could copy them from the internet but It looks that I cant legally. I dont want to get in trouble!

I will have a go at asking the website but I dont think they will allow another competitor to use the same photos.

I dont have access to a good camera and I dont think it will compare to the ones i've seen online.

Fermat's Theorem 20:20 21 Oct 07

you can't use them.

Bear in mind that you don't need a great (or even) good camera to achieve good results for photos that are only to be reproduced on the web.

With a good background, coupled with good lighting on the subject matter, even the most basic of digital cameras can be used to achieve satisfactory results at the minimal resolution needed for website images.

The use of someone else's material for commercial gain could create significant difficulties for you, so I am glad that you had the wisdom to ask the question.

Good luck with the venture :-)

Forum Editor 21:09 21 Oct 07

for a client, and I can confirm that getting good-quality images of gemstone jewellery items was one of the hardest parts of the project.

You need to know what you're doing to photograph diamond rings, etc., and in the end I went to a professional photographic agency. It wasn't cheap, but the results were superb. if you're serious about this I strongly advise you to do the same - people buy with their eyes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…