website image protection

colin1953 18:42 21 Oct 07

Starting a website to sell my photos. How do i stop the images from being simply downloded or copied ect, from the site without payment.

thedogisdead3 19:59 21 Oct 07

Would the simplest way be to add a watermark to the photo?

Putting a transparent logo across the middle or something? I think this can easily be achieved in Photoshop or GIMP.

colin1953 20:28 21 Oct 07

I thought of that. I bit time consuming. I have over 300 images. I would prefer some kind of programe which would protect the site.

Forum Editor 21:05 21 Oct 07

in which people try to protect images - with varying degrees of success. The big image agencies tend to use watermarking however, and I think it's probably the best route to take. You can get software which will watermark batches of images, and your 300 will be no problem.

click here for one example of software which will do exactly what you're looking for.

colin1953 21:15 21 Oct 07

Thanks for that link. I will take a look at the possibility of using watermarks.

cycoze 21:16 21 Oct 07

If you do not want them lifted then you can either..

#1. make them small enough that no-one will bother trying to print them.

#2. watermark them.

#3.use slices, but you will need to do several to deter people or border them and its a long winded process.

There are scripts to stop right clicking but they are not going to stop anyone who is determined to copy the images, just a minor nuisance.

Flash galleries can also stop right clicking but will not stop anyone taking a screen shot (same goes for block right click scripts).

Running a batch file in something like Photoshop is the quickest thing to do, start by making a watermark then start a recording, open an images, add the water mark to it, save it, stop recording, then run the batch on all the photos in a folder of your choice.

You can obviously have the images resized in the recording too, and saved to a different folder using new names.

If people then want to purchase you can send them the full sized original by email or url.

HighTower 11:23 24 Oct 07

I think that another way to look at this is to see what your market is. I've done a couple of sites for photographers who sell large (30" x 20") fine art prints for a couple of hundred quid each.

They often look at it from the perspective that if a person is happy to download a 600x400 pixel version at 72 dpi from a website and print it on their home inkjet then that person isn't their market anyway and so nothing is really lost.

On the other hand, if you are selling 7x5's then you'll need to protect them, and in my opinion watermarking is the only way. As already pointed out, anybody can do a screen grab so disabling the right click is pointless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…